I HAVE AN OIL LEAK AROUND THE AREA BETWEEN THE TRANNY AND THE BLOCK. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS?

1995 Honda Accord • 300,000 miles

I have replaced the oil pan gasket, vtec solenoid seal, sending unit, and valve cover gasket. Cant see no signs under the distributor. Had the engine out of the car about six months ago replacing timing belts, seals and even the rear main seal. Now Im stumped.
Msffletch

What I suggest is to get a dye to add to the oil. Add it, drive it, and then using a black light it will help you locate where the leak is coming from.

I did that too and no help. Could the head gasket leak oil and not cause anymore problems other than just leaking oil?

Msffletch
It could be leaking, but usually not.

For this engine the head gasket would not leak without affecting the engine.

If oil is splattered all over, clean it up and recheck the source of the leak. If you do not see any external leaks from above and is only coming from between the transmission and engine joint, you have a leak with the rear main seal. During replacement of the seal if the crankshaft had been damaged or the seal not correctly, you would have the problem. The other thing that can caus this is the crankshaft where the seal lips are seated are worn and the new seal is seated onto it.

I will try this and get back to you. Thanks

Msffletch
Could it be leaking from the distributor?

Ajbenton
If the leak is from upper portion of trans, yes, it would be from the distributor.