HOLDEN CALAIS RADIO PROBLEM

1995 Holden Calais

I have a new vacuum pack solenoid unit (climate control) and want to fit it myself. What I would like from you is instruction on removing facia/radio components in order to get at the unit. Once there, I feel I can replace the unit successfully. I have read the 'threads' and it seems to me there is much disagreement 'out there' as to how to go about this - can you clear it up? Thank you
Mycroft222222

Lets start with whta have you been told? What did the others tell you to do?

The facia is held by clips and screws that need to be removed. Match the new to old and carefully remove and replace with care.

Do not force anything, inspect before removing anything to see what has to be undone for this repair.

How do you know the control is bad?

No, no, there is no need to start with what I have been told. You are (supposed to be) the expert; just tell me what I should do (or are you unable to and are simply fishing for some 'help'?)

I know the control is 'bad' as I have been told so by a Holden dealer (who will do the job for $200.00 - which is why decided to have go myself.) I am a retired aircraft maintenance engineer who has the skills, but who needed some advice from a professional automotive engineer about WHICH 'screws and clips' to remove; for example, does the centre-console have to be removed (a curse of a job) or can I get to the unit by simply removing the radio, and if so, how does the radio come out. Etc, etc.

However, it seems I have wasted my $5.00, as the level of advice I have received is quite useless. Nothing personal, you understand, but when a site advertises itself as being run by 'Pros', then I guess one expects some truly professional response. (I mean, what sort of advice is, ". Inspect before removing anything to see what has to be undone for this repair"?)

Mycroft222222