FORD PROBE ENGINE PROBLEM

1995 Ford Probe • 127,000 miles

Hi this is the first time I have ever visited your website. I have two questions for you if thats okay.
(1) my engine revs suddenly drop for a split second and then return back to normal. It will then repeat. However this is not constant but ramdom. This happens when the engine is idle but when its motoring theres no problem. I have replaced the spark plugs as they were old and also the HT leads and the problem is still there.
(2) I have what I would describe as a slight squealing noise coming from the power steering pump. The belt isnt slipping but if I spray the pulley its stops temporarily but returns soon after. When the engine has warmed up it totally stops. Would this be a sign of worn bearings in the power steering pump pully or pump.
ps the engine is a 2.0 16v. I will be grateful for your advise.

It's fine to ask 2 questions but you really need to ask them separately because it gets way to confusing to follow when posters are jumping from one issue to another.

I will address question number 1

A couple of things could be happening here. You could have an A/C compressor cycling on and off which will kick the RPMs up every time. You could also have a faulty IAC or dirty throttle body.

You may have a bad IAC ( idle air control) but try eliminating any vacuum leaks and cleaning the throttle body first. Remove the intake snorkel, have someone hold the throttle wide open for you and scrub the back side of the throttle plate and surrounding bore with an old tooth brush and some carb cleaner. Be sure to spray some into the small holes next to the throttle plate. That should help stabilize the idle. If it still has a problem, replace the IAC.

Wrenchtech