FORD E-SERIES VAN COOLANT PROBLEM

1995 Ford E-Series Van • 23,500 miles

This is a ford cutaway motor home with 7.5l gas engine. I have recently purchased this vehicle and have driven approx 800 miles. The temp has never operated in the normal zone and has mostly been on or just above the c. Mileage is really bad. Today I replaced the thermostat and it did not solve problem. Heater is blowing fine hot air. What is my next step I need to take?
Bigspa87

Check and test the engine coolant temperature sensor-

How do I test the sensor and find it?

Bigspa87
Check the resistances hot and cold on the engine coolant temperature sensor and also the coolant temperature sending unit see below

Ok great would malfunctions of these sensors effect fuel mileage?

Bigspa87
If the engine coolant temperature sensor is defective it will

If I replace this does computer or anything have to be reset. And final question is there anything else it could be(simple fix)?

Bigspa87
No-also check on the coolant temperature sending unit.

Ok I will test both tomorrow, the vehicle runs great it just runs cold and is getting about 5 miles per gallon.

Bigspa87
I'd say 5 miles per gallon isn't running terribly great.

Rivermikerat
Having worked on these beasts in thepast one of th e reasons that the mileage is so low is because of engine size and it's hard to make a box get fuel mileage. Plus the weight of these I f you get 7 or 8 mpg consider that extremely good. This motor home has to be in the 25-32 ft range so you aren't going to get the best fuel mileage.

Page 1 of 2