WHERE IS THE FUEL PUMP LOCATED AND HOW HARD IS IT TO GET TO?

1995 Dodge Stratus • 4 cylinder Automatic • 200,000 miles

My fuel pump is out I believe.I have heard that some dodge's you can get to it from the back seat but not sure if you can on a 1995. So I was just wondering if it is located in the actual tank and how hard is it to change it? Thank you for any help.
Buddhaluv79

REMOVAL

Remove fuel filler cap and perform Fuel System Pressure Release procedure. See: Fuel Pressure Release\Service and Repair
Disconnect negative cable from auxiliary jumper terminal.
Remove fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank/Service and Repair.
Disconnect fuel filter lines from fuel pump module.
Clean top of tank to remove loose dirt and debris.
Using Special Tool #6856 Fuel Pump Module Ring Spanner, remove locknut to release pump module Fig. 10.
WARNING: The fuel reservoir or the fuel pump module does not empty out when the tank is drained. The fuel in the reservoir may spill out when the module is removed.

Sorry, the tank must be removed.

Thank you so much for your help!

Buddhaluv79
Good luck

Ok, so we got the tank dropped and took the old fuel pump out and the fuel pump is good. It just for some reason is not kicking on when you turn the ignition. We also checked the hook up plug where the fuel pump connects under the seats and that is also getting juice. We checked it with a (not sure what it is called) voltage meter or whatever and it is active at that connection. And we also hooked the fuel pump up to this same contraption and the motor turns on. It just does not turn on for some reason when we hook it up to the car. Any suggestions on why it is not kicking on? We also tried the fuel relay switch to make sure it was good, and it is. For some reason the pump just has stopped kicking on when we try to start the car.

Buddhaluv79
Just because it turns does not mean it produces the required pressure to start the car. What is the pressure?
Also, if I read this right, you are saying when you hook it up to the car harness, it does not work. The pump will prime for 2 seconds when the key is turned on, it will turn back on when there is a signal that the motor is turning or running. You need to verify this as well. Was there any power to the pump from the car harness?

It showed that there was power from the harness when we hooked it up to the voltage meter. But when we hooked the fuel pump up to it, it does not kick on. And this is with both the "old" fuel pump we had and the new one we purchased also. Neither one of them were kicking on when we hooked them up to the car. But did kick on when we tried them on the voltage meter thing.

Buddhaluv79
I would look for a bad ground. You have power but need grounds as well. It most likely is a black wire bolted to the frame somewhere.

Thank you. I will let him know and we will try that this afternoon. I really appreciate all your help!

Buddhaluv79
Good luck again

Ok. Now they have figured out that there is NOT power at the electrical connector behind the back seat that the fuel pump hooks up to. Fuel pump relay switch is good. What about the ASD relay? If that has been activated, how do we deactivate it to get power to the pump connector? There is also no spark when we try to start the car. But I was told that the ASD switch will shut down the fuel pump and ignition spark. If that is my problem, how do I correct it? Does that sound like it could possibly be my problem? Also, I do not see an ASD relay in the fuse box. There is a 20 amp ASD fuse in the fuse box, which is good, but there is no actual ASD relay switch. And according to the Haynes auto book, the ASD relay is in the fuse box, but we don't see it. There is only a 20 amp fuse but no actual little black box that is the ASD relay. Thank you.

Buddhaluv79