BCM COMMUNICATION WITH GAUGE CLUSTER ISSUE?

1995 Dodge Intrepid • 223,000 miles

I recently installed a heater core in a 95 intrepid for a friend. Had to pull the entire dash of course and after re-assembly the gauge cluster illuminated but none of the gauges worked. SRS, Brake, CEL, turn signals, 4 ways, etc all work.

I disassembled the entire dash again to verify connections and in the meantime I checked the resistance of each wire that ran from the cluster to the bcm or to the junction box, everything checked out with good readings.

I yanked the wire trough, examined each wire from cluster to applicable harness and saw no sign of damage. Grounds are all in good shape, as are "splice points" in the trough.

I installed a used gauge pod that was operative, that puppy still did not read.

Upon yanking the new cluster I checked at the wiring harnesses again, realizing that the CCD BUS(+) and the CCD BUS(-) were not reading at all. The ID SENSE read around 5v, all power read at 12.5. And once again, turn signals, warning lights, and illumination are operational.

The airbag light is stuck on, cruise control is not working. I would assume that this is a failed clockspring, although the horn does still work. I imagine with this year of a car that the horn still would?

Since I am not getting any electrical values from the CCD BUS pins is it possible for that particular channel of the bcm to just have gone bad? Other BCM functions are operational. HVAC, light, locks, windows, etc.

I could really use some advice, I am at my witts end and I have tried to explore this issue for over three weeks. What began as a routine thing to help someone who needed help has become the opposite. PLEASE only professional opinion.

Thank you!
Jault01

I hate when that happens!

Fixitmr
*bump* I am also searching for the proper prodcedure for getting codes from the CEL, via the "key trick" as I have tried to work it. I have switched the ignition on(pos 2) to set the PCM, then returned the key to off. The quickly on, off, on, off, on. And nada. Perhaps this is related to the MIC issue. I just can't see how the CCD bus isn't reading that gauge info to set those gauges.

Jault01