FUEL PUMP? OR SOMETHING ELSE

1995 Buick Lesabre • 124,000 miles

1995 buick lesaber ok so I put some gum out in it with the last oil change and it started sputtering periodicly so I changed the fuel filter and the problem went away for 10 or 15 miles and now its back it will start and idle and it idle smooth sometimes and sometimes not so smooth and then I rev it and it revs good up to a certain point at which it sort of rev and stall rev and stall rev and stall then it just dies it also recently has had a check engine light come on and I cant move it to a dealership to have it hooked up and dont want to nor can afford to have it towed sort of a long question but any help in this matter would be apprciated
Tcooperson

Well, if you cannot afford to have it towed, then what about the repairs. It may be the pump but you need to have the pressure checked. Spark must be checked as well. Have the code pulled as well

So change spark plugs and fuel pump and I should be good?

Tcooperson
Any way to get one of the testers to come to me and check my car

Tcooperson
No, I did not say that. You need to have these checked before replacing anything. A pressure test needs to be performed to confirm the pump. If it does not have spark, that is another issue that needs to be checked.

Basics first. Do not throw parts at it till you know the failure.

Roger so rent a pressure tester and see if its geting good pressure then go from there could a failing fuel pump make check engine light come on?

Tcooperson
No, it wont on an obd1 system.

You need around 40 lbs of pressure.

You can get a mobile tech to come to you but exspect it to be expensive.

Wow could you shoot me a ball park for repairs if it is the fuel pump just a general rate you think should be charged

Tcooperson
If it is the pump, the pump is about 90 and the labor is 2.5 hours. Thats only after it has been tested. Get your failure confirmed.

Tcooperson
Ok so I confirmed today it was not fuel pump and now I need to test the coil packs and the thing they mount to however I was told it could also be a catalytic converter this is begining to become a headache

Tcooperson