HOW TO RESET IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE

1994 Pontiac Grand Am • 112,000 miles

94 pontiac grand am 2.3 ohc I replaced idle air control valve manual said to ground diagnostic terminal B with ground terminal A for 5 seconds with key on then turn key off for 10 seconds then start car to check idle. My problem is there is no diagnostic terminal B in the ALDL connector. What to do? Thanks
Estrngy

You're probably looking at it backwards. "A" and "B" are the only two terminals next to each other in one corner of the plug. There's one of those two pins missing in all the other three corners.

If the idle speed motor is working normally, you shouldn't have to do anything. The same part is used on Chrysler engines, and in the rare event one fails, you just pop a new one in and you're done. The Engine Computer controls it as necessary.

You can simply disconnect the battery if you want to clear the adaptive memory but that really isn't necessary when replacing the IAC.

Wrenchtech
All general motors vehicles automatically re learn idle every time a variable is changed

Mikederouin88
[quote]All general motors vehicles automatically re learn idle every time a variable is changed [/quote]

Correct, The only thing changed with resetting memory is the starting point.

Wrenchtech
Thanks guys for the quick response. I was going by what the Chilton repair manual said to do. I drove the car for 45 minutes shut it off started it back up idles just like it suppose to.

Estrngy