. NOT SURE IF I HAVE A VATS PROBLEM OR A CLOG IN MY FUEL PUMP STRAINER>> WHEN I TURN KEY SECURITY LIGHT COMES ON FOR 5 SECONDS THEN GOES OUT. NO BLINKING.THE CAR STARTS AND RUNS FOR A FEW SECONDS THEN DIES. THE FUEL PUMP IS WORKING

1994 Pontiac Grand Prix • 150,000 miles

I have pulled the fuel line at the fuel filter and turned the key to on postion no gas when I turn key to start gas pumps when I release the key fuel pump stops working.
Dudue45

Thats' becaue the pump only works on initial key up and the oilpressure sender takes over after a start. But jump the relay and see if it pumps ok bu tleave everything connected. You will need 41-47 psi from teh fuel rail to run.

Not sure are you telling me to bypass the fuel pump relay or bypass the oil pressure sensor? I did bypass the VAT system and still the same thing the car will start and then idle for about 5 seconds then shut off. The fuel pump is wroking hard in the tank but pumping gas. Thanks for the help

Dudue45
Best thing to do is check the fuel pressure first on start up then after car runs. When the key goes on the relay sends power to the pump and it shodl give you pressure. After the car starts power is sent through the oil pressue sending unit to the pump. If it shuts off after starting then your oil pressure switch may be bad, check that.

Ok is that something I should just replace in order to "check" it? Or can I jump a wire across the two terminals?

Dudue45
You can jump it but make sur eyo have theright wires.