PONTIAC FIREBIRD AXLE PROBLEM

1994 Pontiac Firebird • 231,000 miles

I need to know my exact rear axle size and spline number for this car before I replace the spider gears with a mini spool, there is a ton of popping from my rear axle and a lot of play in the wheels when up on stands. My u-joints are still good
Jessehdorman

Remove the axle and measure and count.

There should be a tag on the rear. Use those numbers as well

My tag is missing

Jessehdorman
And what part do I count, yeah, I sound dumb, but ive never delt with axle issues

Jessehdorman
Count the splines on the end, length and diameter

Shouldnt it be a 7.5" 10 bolt rear end? Im just trying to find out the number of spline I have, whether its 26, 28, or 30 before I open the case up and lose all the oil

Jessehdorman
You need to open it up to remove axle and then count the splines.

You never know what the factory put in there.

Good point, thanks

Jessehdorman
WHEN YOU'VE GOT IT UP IN THE AIR

AND TURN THE REAR WHEEL ON ONE SIDE

WHICH DIRECTION DOES THE OTHER WHEEL GO?

It turns the opposite direction

Jessehdorman
"POPPING" IS ALSO A SYMPTOM OF A "POSITIVE TRACTION" DIFFERENTIAL'S CLUTCHES LACKING LUBRICATION

THE POSSIBLE FIX MIGHT BE INSURING THE POSITIVE TRACTION ADDITIVE "WAS INSTALLED" WITH THE GEAR OIL----AND HAS BEEN MAINTAINED (WITH NO POSI-JUICE ADDITIVE, THE CLUTCH PACKS GET EAT UP AND THEN CAUSE SLOP)

DRIVING REALLY TIGHT FIGURE "8s", OVER AND OVER (LIKE 10 TIMES) GET'S THE PACKS LUBRICATED AND THE "POPPING" STOPS

MOST UNFORTUNATELY, WITH YOUR WHEELS "GOING IN OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS", RULES YOU OUT FROM HAVING A POSITIVE TRACTION SYSTEM

. SORRY! I THOUGHT I'D CHECK

YOUR VIN NUMBER MAY ALSO CLUE YOU IN ON YOUR AXLE AND RATIO

AS WELL AS POSSIBLY SCRAPING THE RUST AND CRAP OFF OF THE AXLE TUBES NEAR THE DIFF---NUMBERS MIGHT BE FOUND STAMPED ON THE FRONT SIDE OR THE BACKSIDE OF THE TUBES