STARTING PROBLEMS 94

1994 Ford Taurus • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 260,000 miles

1994 Ford Taurus Wagon 3.0L engine. Car starts and stalls every once and awhile and then just turns over without starting. Changed the fuel filter and the distributor/rotor still happens. I noticed after changing the fuel filter, that when I disconnect the negative terminal wait a couple of minutes and reconnect it. The car returns to normal and starts rightup. Any Ideas?
Bob hanright

I've had similiar problems on another type of car and it was the crank sensor

Paul6691
When it stalls don't wait- do below immediately to determine if its a fuel or spark issue

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

You could try getting codes read but you may be erasing them when you take cable off.

Fixitmr