GT WITH A 2.5 LITER V-6 ENGINE. NO SPARK

1994 Ford Probe • 15,000 miles

I replaced the alternator belt about 45 days ago, the battery was dead so I used a Mercedes 12V battery to start the engine after that the dashboard gauges acted funny, as the rpm increased the gauges moved up. Seemed as though the voltage regulator was not working. I also noticed the battery was being overcharged. I had to put water in it, than while the engine was running I noticed the water in the battery was boiling.

Then about a week later the timing belt broke. I replaced the timing belt and started it up and ran it for a few minutes it ran a little rough, then I noticed water coming out of the weep hole on the water pump. So I replaced the water pump. While I was at it I replaced the alternator, put it all back together and NO START. I checked all the fuses and relay's they all are still good.

I noticed on the FUEL CUT OFF light on the dashboard was on so I checked the cut off switch but it was gone and there are two wires connected together and one wire just hanging there.

Anyway, I jumped the f/P and ground circuits in the diagnostic connector and the fuel pump did turn on. So I know that the fuel pump does work.

I also checked tested the crankshaft sensor and it is good. I took out the distributor and spun it bu hand with the key on and I heard the fuel injectors clicking, so I know they work.

I replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, rotor and cap. And still NO SPARK.

About one year ago we replaced the distributor. The only other thing I can think of for it not to spark is in the distributor, the IGNITION MODULE or IGNITION COIL as they are both built in to the distributor and I have not yet tested them.

I will test them in the morning, but is there any other reasons that I could be over looking that would cause NO SPARK?

Thanks,
Ron
Ron wilbur

Ya a bad coil among other things. You'll just have to test everything and if it tests good it may be a bad rotor or dist cap. Mkae sureno fusible links are burnt up at the starter relay as well.

Before I continue with this nightmare of a project I have a couple of stupid questions.

1. When the fuel cut off light is on it cuts the power to the fuel pump. Does it also cut off the ign system preventing spark?

2. If when replacing the timing belt I somehow set the timing mark on the crankshaft 180 off, (it wouldn't start) but there would still be spark right?

Ron

Ron wilbur
No the timing belt being off wouldn't let teh cam sensor work right. If you did htat you proobably bent the valves so you'll have to put the belt on right andcheck compression first. The fuel cut off shoulde effect the ignitin.