THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR OUTPUT VOLTAGE

1993 Pontiac Sunbird • 4 cylinder FWD Manual • 248,000 miles

I checked my tps as per instructions in my chilton manual and at idle position it reads 5 volts and decreases to.47 volts as I open the throttle to full my chilton manual says it should be just the opposite so is the manual wrong or is the tps bad
Bmxwayne

THROTTLE POSITION (TP) SENSOR
Install jumper wires to enable connection of a DVOM in parallel between TP sensor harness connectors. Connect DVOM positive lead to Dark Blue TP sensor signal wire terminal. Connect negative lead to Black, Black/Orange or Purple sensor ground wire terminal. See Fig. 3. Turn ignition on, with engine off. Signal voltage should gradually change from less than one volt at closed throttle to about 5.0 volts at wide open throttle position. If reading is not as specified, adjust or replace TP sensor. See ADJUSTMENTS article in this section.

Ok so the tp sensor is bad then that is what I thought but just wanted to double check info

Bmxwayne
I would guess you may be doing something wrong. Even a bad sensor won't act that way.

Wrenchtech
I checked exactly how the chilton manual said to

Bmxwayne
It could be installed incorrectly.

Wrenchtech
How could it be installed incorrectly

Bmxwayne
Ok I installed a new sensor correctly and still get the same reading of 5 volts at idle closed and it decreases as I open the throttle there is no short between wires what the hell else could cause this sorry about the mildly gruff language but I am frustrated to no end with this issue

Bmxwayne
What color probe are you putting on what color wire?

Wrenchtech
Try reversing the DVOM leads and read again

Red test lead to white black test lead to blue or as described by my chilton manual red to bottom and black to middle

Bmxwayne