WANT TO BUY BUT HAS OIL LEAK

1993 Lexus ES 300 • 200 miles

The owner says that the oil leak is coming from the back near the windshield washers. He doesn't remember the last time he put oil in it and he says it smokes after 10min of driving (which I assume is due to a lack of oil). What do you think the problem is and how much is it going to cost me to fix it? I need to know if this is a deal or not.
Kori Bohon

200,000 miles approx. He said that the odometer quit recording after 200k.

Kori Bohon
When he says that the leak is near the windshield wipers, I would have to ask, is it coming form the top of the engine from the valve cover or from the lower part which might be the main seal.
If he does not know when he changed the oil that is a bad sign. I would assume he did not maintain it well.
The smoke is from oil getting into the combustion chamber and burning and comming out the exhaust, if that is where the smoke is coming from. That means either it needs new valve stem seals or a new head gasket.
With that many miles and that many problems, the car is probably a giant money pit and would cost at least a thousand or maybe even two to fix it and it is not worth that.
You should steer clear and hold out for a better deal.

Gee thanks, you saved me a headache. <3

Kori Bohon
You are very welcome. Please come back any time and we will be here for you.

Take care

Dr. C

AVOID 3VZ motors at all costs. They are junk and that is why Toyota/Lexus only used them for 2 years. Headgaskets always go out of them. If you want an ES look for one that is 94 and above, they have the 1MZ motor, that is much stronger. They used them up until 2003 and the new 3.3's are based off of that block and heads.

Oxamanduhx
What years did the 3VZ run? I am assuming up to 1993, but when did they start using them. It is good information to know.

They used them from 92 to 93 in the ES300 and Camry. The 4 runner they used them for longer I believe 90 to 95. They also had recalls on the headgaskets in the 4runner. But not on the ES and Camry for some reason.

Oxamanduhx
Thanks for the information. That is what it is all about, passing on information to help each other. Information is golden and I thank you for it.

Take care

Dr. C