93

1993 Ford Festiva • 4 cylinder FWD Manual • 235,000 miles

CAR TURNS OVER BUT NO START, I HAVE CHANGED EVERYTHING FROM COMPUTER, DISTRUBTOR TO JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING
Mr. Jake

I guess now it's time to diagnose it properly and stop throwing parts at it as should have been done in the first place.

All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.

Wrenchtech
Well when the auto repair shop puts his computer to it, it runs fine. As he takes it off it wont start back up, so he said it was the distrubtor, so I changed it out with a new one the whole thing sensor and everything, still no luck, even the repair shop is at a loss on this one.I already changed coil, ignition control module, main computer brain, and now distrubtor. Replaced in that order too. Please help!

Mr. Jake
Sounds like it's time for a different repair shop also. If the failure is present at the time, it CAN systematically be found.

Wrenchtech
I guess I will just have to take it to the dealer and have them look at it, or use for target practice, anyways thanks for the help.

Mr. Jake
Not necessarily the dealer but at minimum a "competent" shop.

Wrenchtech