CADILLAC DEVILLE MUFFLER PROBLEM

1993 Cadillac Deville • 175,000 miles

I have a problem with my car backfiring, sputtering when lights on, chugging, and no acceleration with more backfire when depressing gas pedal, my muffler blew off the other day also, I replaced the rotor, distributor cap, wires and spark plugs, during this time, and my muffler still blew off I thought it was timing and I believe I have the timing set correctly as of yesterday with out a muffler of course. And it idles good now, but as soon as I put it in gear and try to drive it it starts to backfire and sputter and sounds like a boat in water, it was a slow just started to getting extremely worse the seems like the more I started to replace parts. I read codes with odb1 and than cleared them, there has been no check engine light and no codes except e52, e53 and e98. Please help. Can I set my timing correctly without a muffler on it? And if the timing is correct how come it still runs like crap, I cant even drive it.
Erudd32

I had a 1990 deville with same spent 1500 hundred to try and fix.I finely took it to cadillac dealer ship it was a bad ground wire on computer control box. The tec said it was only on 1990 but this sound your problem

Natepearson