!992

1992 Subaru Justy • 4WD Manual • 360,000 miles

I have a 1992 Subaru Justy, 5 speed, 4WD that has lost it's front driving wheels but still has the rear wheels driving it in 4WD.
When my rear wheels spin in the snow, I can hear a grinding or rattling coming from underneath.
All joints and external parts look good, so I'm
sure the problem is internal.

I am told that there may be an access plate to get at what might be the problem, though I can't see one. I'm told that it could just be a pin fallen out of a gear and thus the gear has dropped. Does any of this make sense and if not what do you recommend I do to get my front wheels driving again?

And if I should leave it as is, is there a danger of the whole drive train seizing up and losing my rear wheels as well?

Thanks for your time and effort.
Trevor
Peacefultrev

If the front wheel drive is missing, something has gone wrong with the transfer gears and if you continue to use it, you risk losing the rear wheels as well. The only way to go about is to disassemble to check/repair the fault.

4WD TRANSFER ASSEMBLY
1. Remove bolts, extension housing and gasket. Remove bolts, bearing case and height adjuster shim from clutch housing. See Fig. 2.

2. Remove transfer case cover and gasket from transfer case. Remove transfer case shifter shaft clip, washer and transfer lever. Remove diaphragm cover and diaphragm.

3. Remove transfer case side cover and gasket from clutch housing. Remove plug, spring and ball. Remove transfer shifter rail and synchronizer sleeve. Remove shaft assembly from main case side. See Fig. 3.