TENSIONER ON A 92

1992 Pontiac Grand Am • 6 cylinder •

I am trying to replace the serpentine belt on my 92 pontiac grand am and I am having trouble figuring out how to release the tension on the belt I've been looking around cant seem to find anything specific I have an Idler but no tensioner is the idler the tensioner or is there something I'm missing all together
Chucklesoyea

The belt routing is for a 3.1L ENGINE. Do you see the square cut-out in the tensioner, you use a rachet drive or breakover, the same size as the cut-out, pull ccw.

That does not look like my belt or tensioner the diagram on the car says only idler no tensioner the power steering is on the top left (from same vantage point as this picture) then slightly below and to the right is the idler with an arrow pointing up and right in between the P/S and Alternator the idler is perfectly round with one nut in the middle ill post a picture of my diagram it may be a bit small but you should get a better idea of whats going on

Chucklesoyea
OK, what's the liter size of engine? The picture I gave is what our database showed. The databases are not always correct. I'll keep looking.

If no tensioner, then some of the accessories that run off the belt, have an adjustment slot, you loosen the nut or bolt and move the accessory to get slack in the belt.

I found this for the 3.3L engine.

OK. I am the one doing the work Chuckles car. We finally broke down and rented a TOOL for it. The leverage of the long tool worked to loosen the tension. But NOW that we can get the belt OFF. There are engine mounts in the way of getting the OLD belt off and the NEW belt on. Is there a preferred method to THAT? I see two bolts holding the engine in place from the top on some sort of rubber bushing, and it looks like that would be the ideal spot but the weight of the engine is just too much to create a big enough gap to get the belts thru. We tried jacking the engine up a lil but felt we were only lifting the car. And we tried using a giant crowbar to PRY it up (cause it looked like thats what someone had done before based on BENDS in the metal) and even THAT wasn't enough!

ChiTownSounds
Some makes and models, I have used a 2x4 on the lip of the oil pan, with bottle jack, take bolt out of motor mount, left the one end of engine. You need to use your own initiative about what will work and what won't. Be safe.