VOYAGER TAPPING NOISE

1992 Plymouth Acclaim • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 110,000 miles

1992 Plymouth voyager mileage: 110K. Help. After replacing our van's timing chain and radiator, our mechanic said the tapping noise I am hearing is coming from the valves and I need a valve job (approx. $1200). I wanted to make it one more year with this vehicle. Here's my questions” What will happen if I do nothing and ignore the tapping and drive it till summer when I can look for a new vehicle? Will the engine fail or lock up? Would it be okay to take it on a couple 300-mile trips? Any advice on how to decide when to call it quits and go ahead and buy another vehicle? Thanks--lots of good info here.
2CarPros-Archives

You may or may not be able to drive you car on a 300-mile trip. It depends on what is causing the tapping. There are a number of possibilities that can cause the noise you described. Two things come to mind. The noise could be caused by a busted rocker shaft stand on the cylinder head or a lack of oil to the valve train due to a plugged oil passage.

2CarPros-Archives