OK I HAVE HAD MY MX-6 V6 2.5L FWS AUTO FOR ABOUT 1 MONTH. ITS BEEN RUNNING VERY WELL WITH 196,000KM ON THE CLOCK. I TOOK IT FOR A DRIVE TODAY AND NOTICED THE CAR WHEN AT IDLE DROPED TO AROUND 400-500 RPM AND WOULD IDLE KIND OF LIKE A ROTARY BET

1992 Mazda Other • 196,000 miles

Ok I have had my Mazda Mx-6 1992 V6 2.5L FWS AUTO for about 1 month. Its been running very well with 196,000km on the clock. I took it for a drive today and noticed the car when at idle droped to around 400-500 rpm and would idle kind of like a rotary between 400-500 revs so I imeddiately went to a service garage (Pitstop). They had a look and said my spark plugs and ignition leads are in bad condition and pulled 1 out that was not working at all + ignition lead sparking. Thats as far as he went on the inspection, but then went on to say that the car might not be holding pressure? He removed the radiator pressure cap and said this should be fizzing. So yea he doesnt want to fix it he would rather me get a compression test to see if its my head gasket! BUT THERES NO OVERHEATING WAT SO EVER! Car has been well looked after.

Ive had a talk to couple other mates they saying get the spark plugs and ignition leads fixed. But the guy recommended getting this test done but surely the problem was obviously the plugs and ignition leads.

Anyway I need some advice please.
Rugiz

When the last time you replaced the sparkplug and also is the check engine light On or has flashed.

The compression check might be a good idea due to the mileage on it-if it was me I'll have it checked-

Hi and thank you for your quick reply. Well I bought the car 1 month ago so I haven't replaced anything. The car was regularly serviced and she showed me proof. The mechanic said cars plugs and ignition cables were in poor condition and 1 when pulled out did not make a difference to the idle so it was not working. Also I have been looking up symptoms for head gasket failure and haven't got any, my oil is also not discolored its almost the same as if was just replaced. I know the compression would be good but maybe a waste of money for a simple spark and ignition cable problem. Unless the test will confirm other things not as serious as head gasket failure? But this is all I was told would be looked for.

Rugiz
Also no engine check light has flashed

Rugiz
Also no engine check light has NOT flashed*

Rugiz
If its not firing check that cylinder's compression.

Yea I think im going to go ahead with test. But reason for not firiring is the plug is rused and ignition sparks against engine out the side when pulled out so I thought the problem is right in front of the mechanix but hes still not sure.

Rugiz