WHEN STARTING IT IT MAKING A LOT OF NOISE FROM THE STARTER AND FLYWHEEL.

1992 Ford Ranger • 90,000 miles

It is a four wheel drive with a five speed and when I bought it the starter made a lot of grinding noise the owner said it had been doing that since he put a new flywheel clutch and starter in it. This was done last October. I bought it and now it just grindes when I go to start it. I had help and we put a new flywheel and starter in it and it still is very noisey when we start it. What is my problem? We put in a rebuilt starter and flywheelis there something we did wrong? I need some help with this problem we do not want to tear. Up the starter or the flywheel, we are not sure where to go now and we do not want to use it like this till we get the problem fixed. I hope someone else has had a simulair problem.
Donald1949

It probably has the wrong starter in it an disn'thitting the teeth of the flywheel correctly. It will tear the flywheel up again as wellas the starter if it's not fixed right. There has to be a certain distance between starter and flywheel. You might have to change the nosepiece or dirve assembly for the correct one.