AOD TRANSMISSION WHEN TIME TO SHIFT TO 2ND GEAR AT ROUGHLY 30MPH LOCKS REAR END WHAT IS WRONG.

1992 Ford Crown Victoria • 90,000 miles

AOD Transmission when time to shift to 2nd gear at roughly 30mph locks rear end believe transmission or torque converter possibly. Lifted car off ground and tried when hitting 2nd gear second point locked up passenger rear pulling wheel and driver rear kept rolling. What could make it do this help.
Grahamnorris

What do you mean "locks rear end"? This is a rear drive vehicle. Transmission and differential are two separate components.

Rivermikerat
OTHER THAN JUST JUMPING ON THE TRANNY OR DIFFERENTIAL 1ST THING

MAYBE ITS A BRAKE PROBLEM? (DIFF COULD STILL DO THIS SCENARIO)

IF THE ONE WHEEL CONTINUES TO TURN---SOUNDS LIKE THE TRANNY IS STILL POWERING IT VIA THE DRIVESHAFT (TENTATIVELY RULE OUT TRANNY)

GETTING ON WITH THE BRAKE POSSIBILITY

IF YOUR SHOES ARE ON INCORRECTLY (PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SHOES ON BACKWARDS OR PAIRED WRONG, ON OPPOSITE SIDES---THIS MIGHT LOCK UP THE DRUM....SEE MY EXPLANATIONS IN THIS LINK

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1997-toyota-t-100-left-rear-brake-locks-cold

IF IT'S NOT THE BRAKES

THE DIFF COULD POSSIBLY LOCK THE ONE AXLE AND ALLOW THE OTHER TO TURN---THIS WOULD BE A MAJOR REPAIR AND I RECOMMEND AN EXPERIENCED TECHNICIAN MAKE THE REPAIR, THIS WOULD BE A COMPLICATED REPAIR TO CORRECTLY DO, I WOULD NOT SUGGEST A 1ST TIME DIYer TRY IT

I'D SAVE THE TRANNY TO BLAME FOR LAST

With it on the stands should I be able to turn the wheels with the car in park. The driveshaft does not turn but the wheels do the pulling wheel goes forwards and the driver wheel spins backwards at same time

Grahamnorris
By locks with it on stands soon as it gets almost 30mph the driveshaft stops sudden and the pulling wheel locks in place like e brake and the driver rear keeps spinning until it stops on its on

Grahamnorris
I STUMBLED ONTO YOUR OTHER QUESTION

THEN I SEARCHED FOR THIS ONE AND FOUND THAT YOU ANSWERED

I AM SUPPOSED TO GET NOTIFIED VIA EMAIL--BUT I WAS NOT (BOTH TIMES)

I WONDER HOW MANY OTHERS ARE WAITING FOR MY RESPONSE?

BACK TO YOU---YES IF IN PARK, ONE WHEEL WILL SPIN ONE WAY AND THE OTHER OPPOSITE--THIS IS NORMAL!

IF YOU AND YOUR BUDDY TRY TO TURN BOTH WHEELS FORWARDS OR BACKWARDS AT THE SAME TIME, THEY SHOULD NOT TURN BUT WILL SORTA "FIGHT" EACH OTHER TRYING TO GO OPPOSITE

WHEN IT LOCKS HOW DO YOU UNLOCK 'EM?

WHAT ABOUT THE BRAKES? ARE THEY INSTALLED RIGHT?

IF IT LOCKS DOWN ON THE STANDS---AND YOU SHUT THE ENGINE OFF REMOVE THE DRIVE SHAFT AT THE DIFFERENTIAL.

CAN YOU TURN THE "NOW FREE" DRIVE-SHAFT (IS THE TRANNY LOCKED)?

CAN YOU TURN THE WHEELS THAT ARE NO LONGER HOOKED TO THE TRANNY AT ALL?

ANSWERS?

I WILL CHECK THIS QUESTION ON MY OWN VIA BOOKMARK--IF I DON'T GET NOTIFIED

As soon as it "locks" and it stops the wheels it starts pulling instantly again.

Grahamnorris
Brakes have been on it since I got it about 6-8mths ago maybe.

Grahamnorris
That doesn't sound right. You're driving 30 miles an hour and all of a sudden the driveshaft stops turning. If that happened, the transmission would experience serious troubles; with parts disintegrating. Inertia would tear things apart.

I'm guessing that what's actually happening is that at a certain speed the transmission is no longer transferring torque to the differential via the driveshaft. And that's a transmission issue.

Rivermikerat
I HAVE TRIED REALLY HARD TO REMOVE YOUR LUG NUTS, SNATCH YOUR TIRES, TAKE OFF THE DRUMS AND SORTA COMPARE THE POSITIONS OF YOUR BRAKE SHOES---WHILE I WAS IN THERE I PLANNED ON LOOKING TO SEE IF SOMETHING WAS OUT OF PLACE.

I'M HAVING TROUBLE WITH FINDING ENOUGH EXTENSIONS TO REACH THAT FAR....IF I CONNECT ALL OF MY 1/2 ONES TOGETHER, THEN INSTALL A REDUCER, THEN ATTACH ALL OF MY 3/8 DRIVE EXTENSIONS ON----I MAKE IT ABOUT THREE FOURTHS OF THE WAY ACROSS MY GARAGESTILL TOO SHORT!!!

SO FAR WE HAVE NARROWED IT DOWN TO TRANSMISSION OR REAR END OR COMPONENTS WITHIN EITHER

I HAVE BOUGHT BRAND NEW PARTS THAT ARE BAD

I HAVE TORN INTO THINGS THAT WERE ASSEMBLED INCORRECTLY YEARS AGO

WITHOUT ACTUALLY DOING SIMPLE--NO COST--INSPECTIONS, WE ARE AT A STANDSTILL

EVEN POSTING PICS OF THE ASSEMBLIES FROM DIFFERENT ANGLES ---SUCH AS DENOTE FRONT WITH A MARKER AND TAPE OF EACH BRAKE ASSEMBLY AND TAKING A FRONT AND REAR OBLIQUE PIC OF EACH SIDESO AT LEAST WE CAN SEE PROBLEMS TOO, IF YOU ARE UNABLE

ALL OF THIS IS NO COST

THEN YOU MIGHT REPAIR BRAKES YOURSELF, IF THEY ARE THE PROBLEM

WE DON'T EXPECT YOU TO PULL THE TRANNY AND FIX IT----EVEN I SEND THOSE OVER TO THE TRANNY MAN!......SAME GOES FOR THE DIFFERENTIAL

YOU WANNA KNOW WHAT MAY BE THE PROBLEM?......HELP US OUT!...SO WE CAN HELP YOU!

THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF HOW FAR I WILL GO TO HELP!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1980-jeep-cj7-timingtuning-problem-with-a

OK

I MIGHT CAN SEE A QUICK LOCKUP SCENARIO

YET YOU WOULD HAVE TO TAKE THE DRIVE SHAFT OFF AT THE REAR DIFF TO DO THIS SIMPLE TEST

TURN THE YOKE--THE ONE ON THE DIFF BY HAND---CW AND CCW----IS IT RELATIVELY EZ TO TURN?NO STRAINING----IS IT SMOOTH WHEN TURNED?

IF YOUR PINON BEARINGS ARE SLAP WORN OUT---OR YOUR DIFF IS CLOSE TO DRY---EVEN WAY BELOW CORRECT GEAR OIL LEVEL

THE BEARINGS WILL BE SORTA KNARLED---WHEN YOU TURN THE YOKE, THEY WILL SORTA BUMP BUMP BUMP ALONG---LIKE A DIAL WITH INDEXES IN IT

THIS IS BAD NEWS FOR THE DIFF.

LAST YEAR I SNATCHED MY TRANSFER CASE OFF SO I COULD REBUILD MY TRANNY

I DID NOTHING BUT RE-INSTALL THE REBUILT TRANNY AND PUT THE TRANSFER CASE BACK ON---I DID NOT BUILD THE TRANSFER, SOMEONE YEARS BEFORE ME DID

I RECKON THE FLOPPING IT AROUND ON THE FLOOR SORTA BROKE LOOSE "WADS" OF RVT SILICONE INSIDE OF THE TRANSFER CASEFELLER REALLY MUSTA USED 2 TUBES TO INSTALL THE COVERS. THIS WAS FOUND OUT LATER. TOO LATE!

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED NEXT

I TOOK IT FOR A BOUT A 10 MILE DRIVE---I HEARD SOME LITTLE NOISES ABOUT MILE 8 (IT'S NOT REAL QUIET INSIDE A CJ 5) ABOUT MILE 10 AT 55 MPH I HEARD A SCHEECH SCHEECH, THIS ALL OCCURRED IN ABOUT 10 SECONDS OR LESS, THEN MY REAR END LOCKED DOWN ('CAUSE THE DRIVESHAFT STOPPED TURNING. USING MY CAT-LIKE REFLEXES I WAS ABLE TO STEER BACK INTO MY LANE AS WE SLID!

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED TO MY TRANSFER CASE---THE SILICONE THAT BROKE LOOSE, CLOGGED THE OIL HOLES IN THE TAIL-SHAFT---WITH NO LUBE---THE 2 BEARINGS STARTED CHEWING UP THEN SUDDENLY LOCKED DOWNTHE SUDDEN STOP TORQUED THE TAIL-SHAFT, IN TURN THIS TORQUED THE MAIN CASE---THE CAST IRON CASE GOT A BIG CRACK POPPED IN IT

DON'T BELIEVE ME?---I GOT PICS---YES I CRIED. FOR DAYS!

FIXED IT ALL BACK ALL BY MYSELF, AND IMMA PLUMBER, WITH JEEP SKILLS!

THIS EXACT SAME THING MAY BE OCCURRING WITH YOUR DIFF---JUST NOT QUITE TO THE POINT OF MY TRANSFER CASE

GOTTA TEST!

SEE THE "CHEWAGE". SEE MY POOR CASE W/ THE CRACK?