I HAVE A 92 CHEVY G 20 CONVERSION WITH A LEAKING WHEEL CYLINDER. THE SEAL FROM THE DIFFERENTIAL POURS FLUID OUT . HOW DO I REPLACE SEAL AND TAKE THE AXLE OUT TO REPLACE THE SEAL?

1992 Chevrolet Van • 19,000 miles

I was told I have to take the back axle off on each side to be able to take the old seal off and replace it with a new one. Is this correct? There are pins inside the axle housing that I have to take off once I have the housing off. I have to be careful not to do something or all the gears could fall out. I was told to push each side in to get the axle off that has the leaking s eal. What is the best procedure? Trevor
Starzypan777

Yes, the cover comes off, the pin needs to be removed in the spider gears, the axles pushed in so the c clip falls off and then the axle comes out. I would bet there is a bearing and possible axle failure as well. Examine the surface of the axle for ridges. A new seal will never work if there is bearing and axle damage.