CADILLAC DEVILLE JACK PROBLEM

1992 Cadillac Deville • 135,000 miles

I have a 1992 cadillac deville I am wanting to change the transmission fluid. I was wondering how much transmission fluid do I need. Will a gallon be enough fluid. I am also looking to put a new gasket on the oil pan. What do I have to do to take the oil pan off.I know I have to take the bolts off around the pan. Thanks.
Sean03

You'll want to get 12-13 quarts to be safe. Check the level after driving and temperature is at operating level. Then check dipstick with engine running. 2 gallons may be enough but it is worth getting another quart to top it off. Better to have it on hand rather than it be low. Depends how far you live from parts store. Don't drive it more than a few miles before checking it and if fluid is not on stick, I would get someone to take you to get fluid.
As far as the oil pan, removing the bolts is all you need to do. The bolts should be tightened in a cross pattern starting from the inside out. The torque is in inch-lbs, so it does not take much to have the bolts tight enough. Use threadlocker on the bolts. If you overtighten the bolts the gasket will get squished out the side and possibly leak. You can use some silicone, just a thin layer, to ensure a leak free seal.

I was told on the 1992 cadillac deville that you couldn't take it out because you have to pull the motor out. They say you have to remove the flywheel and you have to unbolt the manifold because it is in the way.

Sean03
You might be able to get away with dropping the sub-frame and raising the engine and trans with a jack.
It is not easy though as the springs will need to be un-compressed and you will have to dis-connect the brake lines or just drop the calipers to avoid damaging the brake lines.
The who; le reason is that the oil pan is such a tight fit against the subframe it has to be pulled off and the manifold might have to be removed to pull the engine.

Itchell labor on the engine oil pan is 1.9 hours. It can be done with the right side of the engine jacked up.

Djcl
Ok thanks for helping. I know you said jack up the right side of the motor. Do you mean with a jack stand. I dont have a jack stand. I know this is a stupid question but can you jack it up with a floor jack. Again thanks to both of you.

Sean03
Jack it up using a block of wood under the oil pan then suport it from the top with a chane and bar suport it when its up in the air.

Djcl