BUICK LESABRE BATTERY PROBLEM

1992 Buick Lesabre • 233,000 miles

Hello all, very new to this. This is my first time using a forum to ask a question, so here goes. The above car I have, has a turn signal problem. First off, the left turn has no individual problem. On the other hand, the right side is my problem. With the head lights off, when I used my right signal, it just illuminates solid on the panel, while the front does not flash, but the rear does, BUT so does the left side. With the head lights on, the turn indicator stays lit(right), and still does not flash(front) while the back light flashes, and cause the left sides, front and back to flash dimly. Tried changing front right turn bulb, does not work. Used a test light on both terminals, ground, and power, it works. Changed fuses, and flasher. Odd how the left side has no problems, except for flashing sort of dim, when the left turn is engaged. Can anyone help with this complicated problem? Thanks in advance, would greatly be appreciated.
Gvsdaworld

Problem seems to indicate a poor ground circuit at the right side. Remove the gound circuit connection, clean and retighten and retest.

Thanks for your time in answering my question. Now I guess my next question is; How do I find where it is grounded at? The wiring diagram does not show where it is. Another question, Can I connect a wire to the bulb, positive non-ground wire, and another one to the negative ground side of bulb, and connect to the chassis of car? Or, even the negative battery terminal to test? Thanks again in advanced.

Gvsdaworld
Yes you can but to chassis is ok, to the adjoining socket might not because the ground at chassis is bad. For the headlights and front lights, I don't have any exact location in our database, it is only listed at right side of engine compartment.
Ground circuits are mostly on the panel or inner fender behind the headlights.

Opps, forgot to add 1 detail to my Original question. When I use the right turn signal, the dash lights flash, as well is lights by the cigerette lighter. Sorry I added this late. Can someone continue to help with this problem? By the way, thanks KHLow2008 for your pervious answers.

Gvsdaworld
Have you checked the ground circuits and resolved the previous problem? They could be related.

Thanks, I fixed the not working issue on the front right blinker. At first, it did not come on at all. I tested the ground by cutting the ground wire, a ways from the socket, stripping, and using a test wire (wire with alligator clips on both ends, ), attached to wire, and chassis, and the bulb worked. I then used that wire, put a connector at end, and attached it to the ground screw, behind the battery, where the battery and like 2 other ground wires ment. It worked. I used a test light to connect to positive battery terminal, and touched bolt, screw, and wire connectors, at that location. Light came on everytime I did this as a way to test the ground. I assume the ground there is good. Unless anyone thinks different. (What other way can I test ground?) STILL, when I use the right signal, all left, right, front and back blinkers, blink, as well as dash lights. Also, when the headlights are on, the right turn indicator on the dash still stays lit, and no blinking on the rightside, but all is well with the leftside when using it either way, untill I try using the right turn signal, then all lights flash.

Gvsdaworld
You should not be cutting wires unless necessary. You are thinking of one bulb but did it occur to you that the gound circuit is for a whole bunch of components and resolving one problem does not solve the other problems?

Rejoin the cut wire and leave the new ground circuit on and test if it works better.

Ok, thanks for the help. I'll rejoin the wire togathers, and try tracing them best I can. I'll try and see where the wires connect for ground. Hopefully I can find it without any special tool at this time. If not, I'll buy one of those wire tracers latter, and do it then. The reason I cut the wire in the first place, is because I thought it was on its on ground curcuit, separate from the rest, as I was wrong when reading wiring diagram from Chilton. I thought because the ground wire just said ground with the symbol attached to nothing from the wire, that it was on its own separate curcuit. But now I know it's in curcuit with other grounds. So I'll try tracing them, and if I find it, I'll inspect the grounding area, and fix whatever is wrong with it. If not, I'll buy a wire tracer.

Gvsdaworld
Problem fixed! Reconnected wires, cleaned grounds, checked for continuity, cleaned all sockets, changed bulbs in turnsignal/parklamp sockets. Everything is back to normal, and fully operation!

Gvsdaworld
Nice work.