MY TEMP GAUGE GOES UP FOR ABOUT 3 SECONDS,THEN GOES BACK TO NORMAL AT TIMES.

1992 Acura Legend

My temp gauge goes up for about 3 seconds, then goes back to normal at times. Or, it would go up, I turn off the car for a minute (not exactly a minute), and when I turn it on, the gauge is back to normal. I check the water/coolant regularly, so that can't be it, you think it may be the gauge? Ive had times when it says it's overheated, but when I pop the hood, the radiator is hot, but touchable. Meaning that it's not physically as hot as the temp gauge says.
Lrojas93

It could be the gauge but it's more likely air pockets in the system.

Wrenchtech
You could have a faulty sending unit or bad ground circuit connections if there are no air pockets.

You mentioned checking the coolant regularly, is there any neccisity to top up? Did you check the radiator side?

Someone did mention the air pockets. They tried bleeding it, but they said that it would probly get more air pockets, so what we did to maybe hekp, was to "wash" the motor frombthe inside, and radiator, and install a new gauge. My concern now, is what is a safe temperature for a 92 acura legend with more than plenty of miles to it (i bought it used). Ive beenbtold that as long as it doesnt go too far above 210 it should be fine, but others tell me that 200+is dangerous. Thank you for your replies.

Lrojas93
Today's engines commonly run in the 225 to 230 range. 240 is too much.

Wrenchtech
Well its a 92, so does that fall into that category? Akso, ive re

ad/heard that a faulty/blown headgasket, or something like that could be the cause, is it worth looking into at all?
Thank you.

Lrojas93
If you're still haveing a problem controlling the temp, getting air into the system or losing coolant, then definitely have it tested for head gasket leaks.

Wrenchtech