NEW STARTER, CAR STILL WON'T START

1991 Mercury Capri • 10,600 miles

I recently replaced my starter because of a intermittent starting problem that grew worse, I would have power, but no switch sound and starter would not turn over. After the starter was replaced, I have the sound of the starter engaging, but when I go to turn the starter on, I loose the noise, clock, warning lights, but the starter does not turn over. I had a time when I drove thru a big puddle(Oregon)and the car won't turn over, possibly related? Thx
Treetopstills

Check and test the stater relay, transmission range switch and ignition switch.

Thank you, quick response, will check and post back

Treetopstills
Found the 6 pin starter relay behind the head light, checked for continuity between the points two points showed 40 ohms between them (good= 50-120ohms?Suspect?) And the others showed no continuity. Looks like the relay is bad?

Treetopstills
That is what it sounds like. However, since you loose all power when you turn it to the start position, check to make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight as well as the ground to the engine block. A starter relay wouldn't cause you to lose power to other electrical components.