SUPER COUPE AUTO (AOD) THIRD GEAR SEEMS TO HAVE TURNED INTO NEUTRAL !

1991 Ford Thunderbird • 100,150 miles

Hi I live in the uk and was driving my tbird (3.8l supercharged v6) doing about 70 mph in the overdrive gear (auto) and all of a sudden the gearchange to 3rd was a bit of a jolt and I lost 3rd, its now neutral. The car still drives fine in 1st and into 2nd but when it goeas for 3rd there is nothing there, it just revs. I have tried in the normal drive and still no third. Reverse etc everything else works but im stumped as im here in the uk. I have not lost fluid in he box as its still topped up correctly.
i have heard of a tv cable to check but have not checked yet. Am I in need of a new gearbox?
Tbirdbooboo

It will have to come out and opened up. It sounds like the clutches or drum has failed. It most likely will have to be overhauled.

! Oh well lol thank you for your reply, I cant even find a replacement gearbox on ebay u.S lol nightmare ! : -)

Tbirdbooboo
Is there anyone there that can overhaul it?

Possibly but its just that nobody around here has ever seen one of these let alone striped the gearbox lol I will find out next couple of days and see what I find.

Tbirdbooboo
Good luck