TRUCK MAKES A LOAD "GRINDING" TYPE NOISE WHILE ACCELERATING OR WHILE UNDER STRESS

1991 Chevrolet Cheyenne • 180,000 miles

The only really occurs when I really stomp on the gas.
Jackhodge

Have the differential checked. It may be a failing pinion bearing

What could I aspect if it fails completely?

Jackhodge
THIS IS 2 OF MY EXPERIENCES

THE 1ST IS THE OTHER END OF THE DRIVE SHAFT--OUTCOME WOULD BE THE SAME.....SEE January 09, 2012, IN THIS LINK

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1992-ford-crown-victoria-aod-transmission-time-shift-2nd-gear-roughly-30mph-locks

THE ABOVE ISSUE WAS NOT A TRAUMATIC AS THE ONE I'M SENDING YOU BELOW......I ONLY CRIED WHEN NO ONE WAS LOOKIN'

SOME OF THE PUNCTUATION DID NOT COME THRU WELL WHEN OUR SITE WAS REMODELED...I THINK YOU'LL GET THE DRIFT...ESPECIALLY ON THE INCONVENIENCE PART

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/jeep-grand-cherokee-1997-jeep-grand-cherokee--2

HERE'S SORTA WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE......START AT ABOUT June 28, 2012THIS IS NOT YOUR VEHICLE, BUT A DIFFERENTIAL ON MOST VEHICLES HAVE THE SAME BASIC WORKINGSHE'S GOING AGAIN BY August 11, 2012

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1985-jeep-cj7-inconsistent-curb-idle-low-power-hi-rpms

YOUR TURN

I see, thanks for the good info. I also have a "whining" sound that only subsides when I depress the accelerator. I've gotten two opinions on this. 1- power steering pump beginning to fail and 2- that it might be related to the noise mention in the above question.

I am new to working on vehicles, being only 21 so a abridged version of a solution would be greatly appreciated.

Jackhodge
LETS CHECK THIS TOO

ON MY JEEPS.....HAVE 2 NOW, 5 OTHERS IN THE PAST....NOTHING ELSE SINCE I STARTED DRIVING IN 1981

.....THE OLE "U-JOINTS" SQUEAK (LIKE AN UN-OILED TRICYCLE) WHEN YOU LET OFF OF THE GAS....WHEN THEY START GOING BAD

UNDER POWER, YOU DON'T HEAR 'EM UNLESS THEY ARE ABOUT TO FALL APART....WHICH I DON'T LET HAPPEN

ANYTIME I HAPPEN TO BE UNDERNEATH....OUTTA HABIT I CHECK 'EM

THIS LINK I GIVE YOU NOW MAY HELP YOU FOREVER

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2007-ford-taurus-tune-up

CHECKING THE U-JOINTS IS DEMONSTRATED IN MY PICS OF "WILLY" AT THE BOTTOM

I HOPE YOU CAN UNDERSTAND MY "RURAL METHODS" OF ANSWERING QUESTIONS.....I WILL CONTINUE TO AID YOU IN ANY WAY I CAN....JUST KEEP ON A ASKIN'........AS YOU CAN SEE I'M MORE IN TUNE WITH THE JEEPS AND OLDER CARB VEHICLES.

DO YOU RECKON IF YOUR PAL LAID DOWN IN THE BED WITH HIS HEAD OVER THE END...HE MIGHT BE ABLE TO HEAR THE NOISE IF IT WAS THE DIFF OR THE WHEEL BEARING....ABLE TO HEAR EXACTLY WHERE THE NOISE IS ORIGINATING FROM?

....JUST DON'T LAUNCH HIM OUT THE BACK!

DID THE "DRIFTIN" STORY BRING OUT A TEAR?

I can relate to the Drifting story, I had to leave my 94 Cavalier in a Dairy Queen parking lot and walk home because the shifter linkage broke. Your "rural" style is clear and easier to understand than most the answer I get, Thank you.

So from what I understand the "grinding" and "whining" noises may be related?

Would replacing the pinion bearing remedy both noises or may I have definite damage to my Diff? Based the grinding I keep hearing, and honestly it doesn't happen often. Usually only when I'm trying to show someone but never during normal operation.

Jackhodge
I forgot to ask
Would a problem in the the U-joint or Differential cause my service light to come on?

Jackhodge
"SERVICE ENGINE" IS COMPUTER RELATED....COMPUTER IS TELLING YOU THERE IS A PROBLEM, THE MANY SENSORS THAT MONITOR THE ENGINE AND SOME OTHER ITEMS ARE "PICKING UP" AN ABNORMALITY.

THE U-JOINTS, DIFFS ARE NOT "MONITORED", NOR ARE WHEEL BEARINGS AND A BUNCH OF OTHER STUFF IN THE LATE '80s AND THRU ABOUT '95 (OBD I)

OBD II BEGAN ABOUT '96 AND IS STILL BEING USED (THIS IS THE TYPES OF COMPUTER SET UPS SORTA TRYING TO GET ALL OF THE AUTO MAKERS ON THE SAME SHEET OF MUSIC)

OBD I IS SORTA PRIMITIVE......BOTH SYSTEMS GIVE "CODES".....OBD I CAN SOMETIMES BE ACCESSED WITH A PAPERCLIP SHOVED IN A TEST PLUG AND EITHER A SPECIFIC SET OF BLINKS OF THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT----OR EVEN WATCHING "NEEDLE SWEEPS" ON A ANALOG (OLD STYLE) VOLTMETER WILL SORTA "MORSE CODE" YOU THE CODES----EXAMPLE 2 LASHES--A SPACE--5 FLASHES = "CODE 25"

IT'S A BIT HARDER THAN THAT, AS SOMETIMES (DUMB EXAMPLE) IT WILL BLINK OUT 6 FLASHES (# OF CYLINDERS) THEN THE "2 AND 5"---SOME OTHER WILD #---REPEAT THE "2 AND 5"---THEN A MANUFACTURER CODE.........NOT KNOWING ALL OF THIS, I HAVE TO USE A BOOK--ALL OF THE PREVIOUS WAS "FICTITIOUS"....BUT IT HAS A SEQUENCE, TAKES A WHILE TO PROPERLY UNDERSTAND AND IS CONFUSING.......MANY TIMES THE FLASH SPACING (SOME OBD I READERS "BEEP") REALLY CONFUSE YOU, YOU THINK IT'S DONE OR ONE SPACE IS LONGER THAN THE OTHER.....GET MY DRIFT?

MOST PARTS STORES AROUND HERE CAN SCAN "OBD II"....NO PROBLEM...FOR FREE!

OUR LOCAL "AUTOZONE" HAS BOTH SCANNERS---WHICH ACTUALLY JUST "TELL YOU THE CODE".....NO FLASHES OR BEEPS, JUST SPITS OUT THE NUMBERS.....AGAIN, THEY SCAN IT FOR FREE AROUND HERE

(CALL AROUND, SEE WHO CAN CHECK OBD I, INSURE THEY KNOW YOU MEAN "OBD I"....NOT II !!!!)

"SMALLER PAY SHOPS"---CAPABLE OF OBD I OR II---AROUND HERE, WILL SCAN AND TELL YOU THE CODES FROM $25--$75

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART! READ THIS LINK

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2008-mazda-6-recently-check-engine-light-came-on-acts-doesn-t-want-start-put-gas

IF YOU FIND YOU CANNOT GET THIS DONE FOR FREE---LET ME KNOW--I MAY CAN SEND YOU SOME INFO, THAT MAY HELP

LET'S DO THIS 1ST, THEN WE MIGHT FIGURE OUT IF SOME OF YOUR RACKET IS RELATED TO THE COMPUTER

WHAT ABOUT THE "JIM-BOB" PEERING UNDER THE TAILGATE TEST?????

GOT YOUR REPAIR MANUAL YET?

READY TO DO A "CATCH UP" TUNE UP?

I haven't got around to your suggestions yet, waiting for day light. So I will get back to when I do. Sometime tomorrow and I will track down that repair manual but I'm going to have to wait until my next pay check.

But, I did go poke around a little bit in the dark (mainly just to soak up the info you shared with me)

I noticed something that may be relevant. The "whining" persists even when the vehicle is in park. In fact it gets even louder, I'm not sure of the significance.

I plan to preform the two checks you mentioned in the morning, I will definitely inform you of the results. As for the manual I will need a little time, but anything you tell me to do I will definitely understand.

I wanted to take a moment to thank for all your help, I'm not going to tell you a sob story but to say the least I don't have many friendly voices in my life, so Thank you so very much for affording me your time.

P.S. Most definitely ready for a tune up.

Jackhodge
RECKON THE WHISTLE IS AT THE THOTTLE BODY. MY CARB WHISTLES AT A CERTAIN OPENING. IT'S JUST BELOW IDLE SPEED---IN OTHER WORDS IF IDLE SET TOO LOW, IT DOES IT. WHEN I GET IT TO THE CORRECT IDLE SPEED IT DISAPPEARS

DO NOT MESS WITH YOUR IDLE!

COULD BE THE AIR CLEANER OR IT'S DUCTING

YOU ARE REALLY GONNA HAVE TO PIN DOWN THE AREA IT IS COMING FROM

LONG AS YOU TRY.I DO WHAT I CAN!

SAME GOES FOR THE JEEP CJ GUYS THAT I HOOK UP WITH.I'LL PROVIDE TOOLS, THE DRILL SERGEANT TREATMENT, AND A LITTLE "MONKEY SEE-MONKEY DO". THEY DO THE WORK, PROVIDE THE PARTS, ASK THE STUPID QUESTIONS. IN THE END. THEY KNOW SOME STUFF. CAN DO SOME STUFF ALL BY "THEIR-SELF" (S.C. LINGO) LATER ON!

HAVIN' FUN YET?

Page 1 of 2