CHEVROLET CAPRICE AXLE PROBLEM

1991 Chevrolet Caprice • 190,000 miles

Hi, I have a 1991 chevy caprice and I am having rear brake issues. I have replaced my drums, shoes, all hardware and wheel cylinders and within a 100 miles or so of driving, they start pulsating real bad. Ive replaced the shoes and drums and hardware about 4 times in the last year and a half because of this. Everything looks okay, ebrake is not sticking. It is 100 percent the rear. What could be my issue? I have had the car to over 10 mechanics and they cant figure it out.

A bent rear axle could cause this.
With the car in neutral and jacked up and supported, turn the wheel and feel for the brakes dragging (the tire will speed up and slow down as it moves from the dragging area to the non-dragging area).
You make have to remove the tire to really get a good idea of whats' going on.

Question: how are you 100% sure it is the rear?

Freemba
Ever since I first replaced the rear drums, ive had this issue. It goes away for the first few hundred miles after I replaced them. Then comes back, also did the ebrake test.

Bad305bowtie
For the drums to warp that fast, there has to be something causing them to stick and overheat. Can you spin the rear wheels? If you apply the brakes, stopping the rear wheels from spinning, can you spin them as soon as you release the brakes?

Yup, I can spin them after stopping it. Sometimes the car does feel as if its "limping" like the brakes may be grabbing still, when in let it coast. Perhaps it is an axle issue? I also do get a clunk from the rear when I make turns, or push the car side to side.

Bad305bowtie
Did you verify the fronts are working? As Joe said, they are overheating by doing all the work.

Yup, fronts are workin just fine.

Bad305bowtie
This issue didnt start until I first replaced the rear brakes.

Bad305bowtie
IF you sometimes feel they are hanging up, check to make sure all springs are positioned properly. Make sure the shoes aren't hanging up on something. Other than that, I question the parking brake and a possible bent axle. (Are the drums the correct size?) Are they aftermarket from China?

They are raybestos, ive tried four different types of drums. As for thr ebrake, it is currently not hooked up. Jus had new shoes/drums and hardware done last week. Looks good. As for the bent axle, if I cant tell if its bent by looking at it, could it still possibly be bent?

Bad305bowtie
If you pull the axle, use a straight edge to see if there is a bend in it. However, I would think you would hear and feel it.