91

1991 Chevrolet Caprice • V8 2WD Automatic • 68,000 miles

Car wont start. The other day I started my car to let the engine warm up for 5 min. I got in it and turned the rear defogger on. Once I did this the car started runnin poorly so I turned it off, it still ran bad then stalled. It started back up and ran poorly for 3 seconds then died. Once I went to start it again, it wouldnt crank. Everything else on the car still works. Does not crank and I cannot get it too. Battery and alternator tested good. The rear defogger fuse was also melted. Please help.
Bad305bowtie

Cranking and w/n start or just won't crank at all/nothing when you turn key to cranking position?

Will not crank at all when I try to start it.

Bad305bowtie
Could be the starter motor, starter relay, park and neutral switch and ignition switch assuming the battery and connections are good.

Where is the starter relay located?

Bad305bowtie
Short out the starter motor small terminal with the purple wire to the battery terminal on it-if it cranks over -check if the purple wire is open to the ignition switch if not -replace the ignition switch

How do I short it out?

Bad305bowtie
I replaced the starter that was the problem. But the car won't turn over unless I charge the battery or jump start it. I drove it for 20 minutes then the dash lights got dim I turned the car off went to restart and only clicked once. But once I jump it it starts right up again. Please help

Bad305bowtie
Have the alternator and battery load tested some parts store does it for free-if okay-could be a short circuit draining the battery

I had them tested and they were good. I disconnected the rear defogger from behind the climate controls and left the fuse out because that's how all this firststarted and I didn't want to take a chance in it happening again? Could the no fuse in the rear defogger be doing it?

Bad305bowtie