CAR WONT START--ONLY CLICKS--EVEN AFTER NEW BATTERY

1990 Lexus LS 400 • 204,000 miles

In november 2011 put in a brand new battery with 750 cranking amps (was told the former battery didnt have enough, I was told this was the solution to the starting problems) it ran for a couple of days no problems, then stopped altogether, been sitting in the garage since november. Now (april)this past week tried to start it, it just clicks, never turns over, friend came over to medium charge the battery, cleaned the terminals, after hours we finally got the car started ran it for an hour, no problems, then took it back, turned it off, and wont start. It just clicks when you turn the key (headlights do work) cant figure out whats truly wrong with it. Search the internet but most all say they start up at some point wether hours or days later.
Car is only worth 1400 at the most and cant afford taking to lexus mechanics or a dealership (both of whom I dont trust) and had problems with them as well. Just dont have the finances to spend. Friend said he would try to fix it, if we can pinpoint the problem. (I dont have credit card for donation)
T w

If that's a single rather loud clunk you hear each time you turn the ignition switch to "crank", that's a real common problem with the little silver Nippendenso starters. They develop worn solenoid contacts and will crank intermittently after you try it a few times. The problem will get progressively worse over time. The contacts can be replaced for 20 bucks, but most people just replace the entire starter.

99% its a fuel pump issue or has something to do with a fuel line components. I had the same thing on a 1996. They had lifted it and banged on a fuel tank whie the car was up. And it had started.

Popovich
REAL bad answer. If the fuel pump is not working, the starter will still crank the engine. The two systems are not related.

Could be a charging system problem too causing the battery to run down but with no voltage measurements, no other observations, and no feedback, who knows what's going on, but fuel pump? I guess it could be the wiper motor too.

MANY TIMES---LOOKING AND REALLY GETTING IN THERE ARE CONFUSED WITH EACH OTHER....YES, I ARGUE WITH PEOPLE EVERYDAY, WHEN I "DO AGAIN", WHAT THEY SAID THEY ALREADY DONE!

I USED TO SEE THESE PROBLEMS, HITHER AND YON. I STARTED WORKING PART TIME AT ADVANCE AUTO A FEW MONTHS AGO

I SEE IT AND OTHER "WILD" STUFF, MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY!

LET'S LOOK AT MY ANSWER IN THIS LINK

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1996-chevrolet-tahoe-wont-start-sounds-dead-battery-jumpbox-get-same-reults

RETURN WITH A BIG OLE GRIN