HONDA CRX FUEL PUMP PROBLEM

1990 Honda CRX • FWD Manual •

1990 crx starts, runs fine for about 8 minutes, then shuts down and won't start until it is cool. I have replaced the main fuel pump relay with no change.
Policepop

Could be the ignition switch failing

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Next time it refuses to start don't wait for it to make up its mind-do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs,coil's resistances,cap and rotor,distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

Thanks, I will try that tomorrow.

Policepop
I checked the plug after it died. No Spark. Then the ECU flashed 15 times indicating ignition output signal. I followed the manual as far as I could without a test wiring harness. I guessed the ECU was good, and the wires were not damaged because it worked consistantly until it was hot. I replaced the igniter in the distributor and it works! I hope this helps someone else as well. Thanks!

Policepop