WHAT IS A FAILED GAS CAP FUNCTIONAL TEST?

1987 Honda CRX • 190,000 miles

I have a 1987 Honda CRX and it wont pass smog. I believe that it is because of a failed gas cap and I was hoping someone could tell me what causes a gas cap to fail a functional test
Michaelpc

They are designed to vent pressure at a certain point. If they release too soon or late, it will fail.

So would buying a new gas cap fix the problem and would my car then pass?

Michaelpc
That I can't answer. If they said the only problem is the cap, it should. However, there could be a leak in the EVAP system. The cap is the cheapest try at this point. If there is still a leak, I recommend having the system fogged to identify where a leak is located.

I have the failed smog test results here and the only thing that didnt pass the second test was the EGR functional. It doesnt say fail, it just says N/A. Is that a costly fix?

Michaelpc
The notes say: "failed test: emissions are too high, gross polluter, nox at both speeds. Whatever that means. Is there any way to tell what the problem could be?

Michaelpc
NA means not aplicable. Perhaps that test isn't needed where you live.

So the comprehensive visual test passed, the functional check passed, but the emissions test says gross polluter and that I believe is why it failed the smog. Is repairing the vehicle to pass smog a pricey fix you think?

Michaelpc
It really matters what it needs. I need to know what part has failed. Since you mentioned the gas cap, I am assuming you have en EVAP leak. That can be as simple as a rubber hose that is off or damaged, or require part replacement that can get costly. Were they anymore specific about the problem?

No I dont see anything. Everything passed, but the measurement results are almost twice as high as the gross polluter limits. It really doesnt say jack unfortunetly and I dont know what to do. Im really broke and I need to get this fixed asap.

Michaelpc
Can you contact the tech that checked it and ask for more specifics? I would be better able to help that way.