HONDA CIVIC BATTERY PROBLEM

1990 Honda Civic • 328,000 miles

While trying to sell my Honda Civic someone came in the night to the driveway where it sat and took a few items (radiator and fan assembly, two front corner markers/lamps, and the fuse box under the dash has its cover stolen, the Main Relay taken and another plug with 4 prongs next to it was taken.

I have a Haynes manual and I think it says my car has a hazard, turn signal relay under the dash by the wall of the drivers side. It would make sense that was it. But I'm ; not sure.

What I was sure was the main relay was one of the plugs. So I bought one and put it on. But when I turned the key it was cold silent. No electric lights, no nothing. My only thought was something else was unplugged or removed.

I could check the ECU to be sure it was still there, but don't know where to look. Could the lose wire I have still hanging be needed to connect somewhere and that's why my car is not electrically connecting? Would it be on the ECU could have been stolen? Where would I look? I feel totally at a loss and have no where to turn.

Please help if you can. I'm not a mechanic and this event has caused me much grief and stress. I'm out in the country and there are no mechanics near me who know much about Hondas.
Please advise.

Lynne

Lymeris777

Is the battery there?

Can you take some pictures and post them?

Check and test the fusible link 60amp on the left with 2-wires going to it as you look at it

Greetings Rasmataz,
Yes the battery is intact. I took the main relay and plugged it in without attaching the metal hanging hook. Someone suggested maybe I needed to properly install the main relay because the metal could have been a ground. The metal piece goes on the back and then it's hung up to a spot behind the dash by bolting it. But I figured that's just to get it out of the way and somewhat hidden from would be thieves So I just plugged it in and hung it.

Is it possible the relay needs to be on theat metal piece? I'll attach a photo of the main relay. Also,
I don't know where the ECU is located so I can't check to see if that too was stolen. So I looked on the passengers side by the wall under the dash and I noticed when I pulled the material back that there was a hanging blue plug. If the ECU was there they may have taken it. I've attached a photo for that as well.

Let me know what other images you need and I will try to supply them..

Thank you.

Lynne

Lymeris777
Hi Razmataz,
Someone who is more electrically inclined then I am is coming over and is bringing a meter. I opened your image and took a screen shot which I will show him and ask him to check it.

Is there anything else he needs to check too while he is here? I can pass your advice on to him and then get back to you with the results.

I read somewhere that most Honda Civic ECUs are on the right passenger side along the wall under the dash. That little blue plug is either missing something or it needs to be attached to something. But it's very small and may not have anything to do with the ECU. The ECU may be still hidden in the material behind that plug. I need to learn where it's located on a 1960 Civic DX hatchback.

Can you help me with that?I'm worried it was stolen and I want to set my eyes on it. Gogling that hasn't brought me any clear answers.

I appreciate your help.

Lynne

Lymeris777
JUST TO DO A LITTLE TEENY TINY BUTTING IN.

I HAVE DONE THIS A FEW TIMES

YOU KINDA GET THAT FEELING LIKE YOU ARE A STALKER THOUGH. WHATEVER A STALKER FEELS LIKE WHE THEY ARE STALKING

TAKE YOUR DIGITAL CAMERA WITH YOU AND MAYBE SORTA RECON BUSINESS' ALONG YOUR ROUTE

SEARCHING FOR A VEHICLE JUST LIKE YOURS

MOST OF THE TIME IF YOU WILL SORTA HANG OUT AT THE SMALLER PLACES, ONCE YOU EXPLAIN YOUR PLIGHT, THE OWNER MIGHT LET YOU SNAP A BUNCH OF PICS WHICH MIGHT AID YOU

THE SMALLER PLACES ARE BEST----I HAVE SAT IN THE WALMART PARKING LOT, LIKE FOREVER, WAITING ON SOME "COMPULSIVE BUYING DISORDER" FELLER TO RETURN TO HIS TAHOE, SO I COULD SEE HOW SOME STUFF WENT BACK TOGETHER THAT MY BROTHER-IN-LAW SCREWED UP ON MY SISTER'S RIG. BUT IT WAS WORTH THE WAIT!

WHILE ON YOUR RECON MISSION---FOOD, WATER, AND ROTTWEILER SHOULD BE PLACED IN THE "DONOR CAR"

OK. CONTINUE ON WITH THE OTHER GUYS

Dear Medic,
The 1990 Honda Civic DX is apparently pretty rare and sought after because its engine is enduring and it's gas mileage is in the 40s, and it looks like a little hot rod. People have called me from out of state to come see this car. Someone from another state wanted it so he can fix it up to race with. People steal things from this car, something I never would have thought possible and made me feel my car was the one stalked, but for the wrong reason. "Stalking" someone with a Honda Civic DX like mine is not only impractical, but would suggest I don't have a real life. I don't have the time to sit in a Walmart waiting for some guy to drive in with a car like mine so I can get a few pictures. I live in the country and I'll be lucky to see one for years, especially out here if I did something like that. And I'd lose my job and my house trying.

I hope you are not one of the experts, because your suggestion is not helpful in my situation.

Lymeris

Lymeris777
Hi Razmataz,
I FOUND THE ECU! ! It was under the dash in the passenger's feet area and against the firewall that's between the foot space and the engine. It's bolted inside a cover. But no wires are attached to it. Do you want a picture? Btw, its in the same area as the blue little hanging plug. I doubt it was taken as the bolts are still on it and I'm guessing the haste with which thieves like to do things, it would have likely been removed with the ECU.

Also, please tell me more about what those two wires on the left side of the fuse box go to so we can consider what's wrong if the test fails.

I will be with a potential buyer at 9 am this morning (Sunday). He's the guy bringing a meter to test the car and go over it and he's trying to help me out. He's not a professional so I can only hope whatever is wrong is obvious. I will keep an eye on this post. But if you can't respond due to other things, in your life today, I understand.

I'm hoping just an answer to that question will be all we need.

My thanks to you again.

Lynne

Lymeris777
The blue little plug is attachecd to nothing. It is the Service Check Connector uses for engine diagnostics.

Have you tested the power supply to the ignition switch? Has battery been tested?

PS To the Medic...= )

I take that back, you was helpful. Your story about the Rottweiler, food and water left for the donor car and your description of the folks who go to Walmart made me laugh, which I needed. I got a good chuckle fro your suggestion and I appreciate your humor.

PSS Ever take a picture from a contorted twisted angle under the dash of a tiny Honda DX? The pictures don't always turn out useful unless some knows a Honda real well... Even then. But iIf you succeeded in doing that, please tell me how you did it. Now THAT would be helpful.

Lynne (aka Lymeris)

Lymeris777
The battery is good last time I checked. The power to the ignition was good also, so if its not good now then something may have been unplugged. The state of the car before the theft was that it was able to turn over, even rumble but not start. The alternator seemed to be froze up or it's possible it wasn't getting gas. Perhaps the main relay was starting to go out. That was why I was so hopeful when they took it and I needed to replace it.

But even with the new relay, after the theft, there are no instrument panel lights like check engine, oil, battery ect. I turn the key and there is nothing. So the Main relay must not be communicating with the ECU right? Or is there something else we need to consider?

Did my photo of the hanging plug under the dash on the driver's side give a clue? Its the only otherr hanging plug I keep having the feeling something needs to be installed or plugged up. Something that they did when they went under the dash and took my main relay and whatever was in that hanging plug on the drivers side.

Any other photos that might be helpful? I'm willing to try it again. I can go further up maybe. Or take pictures of the engine near the firewall.

Lynne

Lymeris777