THE SPEEDOMETER IN MY LEBARON ONLY GOES TO 50 MPH WHEN THE CAR IS TRAVELING. ALSO, THE TRIP AND ODOMETER DON'T WORK AT ALL. WHAT CAN I DO?

1990 Chrysler Le Baron • 75,215 miles

I was told to check the speed sensor but where is it located and how do you check it?
Hhaduck

Which transmission do you have, the three-speed or the four-speed? Do you have the digital dash or standard analog gauges?

It's an automatic, not sure of the number of speeds. I have a standard analog dash.

Hhaduck
Look at the "D" on the shift indicator. Does it have a circle around it?

(I'll be back in a few hours).

Yes, there's a circle around drive. It has L, 3, D (with circle)N, R, P.

Hhaduck
That's the four speed computer-controlled transmission. There's two speed sensors on it. If it shifts properly, the sensors are working.

For the speedometer, if it sticks at 50 mph, look for a shifted laminate that the pointer is sticking on. The clue is the pointer will stick and bounce at various places and not move smoothly. A mechanic can also use a scanner to run the gauges up and down to see how they respond. Rather than trying to shift the laminate, just use a small hobby knife to trim a little of the hole around the base of the pointer.

For the trip odometer, there are two things to look at. First press the reset button and let it snap back. That will reset the gears if they were stuck. Also look for a cracked plastic gear. I've heard of this a few times. I send people to salvage yards to take other clusters apart but one person said he found a cluster rebuilder who had new gears in stock. They shipped him one for free.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Hhaduck
Where are these gears located? On the transmission or behind the dash? Tried resetting the odometer but no help. It snapped back but nothing else.

Hhaduck
The cracked gear is part of the odometer assembly. You have to take the instrument cluster apart to get to it. I never did one myself but other people have said it's real obvious once you get to it.