CLUTCH PROBLEMS?

1989 Toyota Tarago • Manual •

Clutch problems?
Someone else was driving my van and said the gears would not engage so they had to get underneath and force it into 1st gear to bunny hop it back home. He said the clutch needs replacing, but my brother in law(ex army mechanic), an apprentice mechanic and a wrecker have all said it is NOT the clutch. My brother in law said its the master cylinder cause there was oil around it, but the apprentice mechanic helped me change it and noted something had been cross threaded and believes that was the source of the oil leak. After replacing the master we tried to bleed it through but couldn't get pressure to the clutch, so upon further investigation he now notes that the slave is not disengaging, but my brother in law swore its not the slave for some reason, now the guy who was driving it in the first place is saying the slave is not disengaging because the thrust bearing is stuffed and for that I still need to replace the clutch! I'm getting confused, I already had to forgo paying rent this week to pay for the master and I cant afford to just replace everything randomly until it works, I need to know exactly what the problem is, but I cant afford to call out a mechanic to look like I said, im broke! I can only afford to try to save for the actual part that needs replacing. Can someone please help me troubleshoot this
Morgan

The first thing I need to know is do you have good pedal pressure or not, and with the pedal down is the slave moving the clutch fork?

Mhpautos
After we fit the master we tried to bleed it through but couldnt get pressure to the clutch, the fork is not moving so the guy helping me suggested its the slave, but another guy swears the fork isn moving because the thrust bearing is stuffed? Im a lil worried that once I replace the slave im only going to have to get a full clutch kit anyway (this is what second guy is telling me) I just cant afford to after having replaced 2 apparantly unnecasary parts. Is it possible the slave is not disengaging because of the thrust bearing?

Morgan
The slave pushes on the clutch fork which moves the thrust bearing, if the slave is not moving it will be a hydraulic problem.

Mhpautos
What kind of hydrolic problem.I should probably mention at this time I'm a girl thats had very little to do with servicing cars, this is all new to me, I'm learning as I go

Morgan
Air in the system, leaking slave seized slave, look under the rubber boot on the slave, if wet replace and re bleed, if dry re bleed and see if the slave will move when the pedal is pushed down, you should see a good 2" or more of movement, what do you see?

Mhpautos