DOES A WHOLE IN THE OIL PAN MEAN I THREW A ROD OR COULD I BE LUCKY AND JUST REPLACE THE PAN?

1989 Mercedes Benz 300se • 181,000 miles

I dont understand I never saw a light come on, the engine sounded ok. I go to the gas station the next day which is next door to my house, and the car sounded rough. Luckily I didnt drive far. The car was running great.I put oil in then see it run out on the ground. Then I see the hole in the pan.I cant afford a car repair at the moment.I thought maybe a temp fix on the pan to see how engine sounds before dealing with a pan repair that may be pointless. If the motor is damaged I might as well get rid of it and start over.
Stevewillard41@yahoo.com

You need to open it up and investigate what punctured the oil pan-You sure you didn't hit anything

Well I dont know im praying there is no motor damage. Since I never noticed it running rough or overheating im hoping the motor is ok. Guess ill have to pull the oil pan and have a look.

If it's dented from the outside, you may have a chance but if it dented from the inside, it's toast.

Wrenchtech
Right thats what I figured. Looks like it was ppoked from the outside but a friend said that the rod could punch the whole out then punch it back in again so I dont know. Guess its all speculation till I look at is. Just had a tranny issuse that cleared itself up somehow. Now this. So pissed cant get a break.

To get you by for a temporary fix, if indeed something did hit the pan from the outside, you can make a patch with silicone RTV gasket sealer. I use Chrysler's gray stuff only because I'm familiar with it. They have black stuff that stays more rubbery but it will not bond and seal if there's any hint of oil residue. The gray stuff gets a little harder but it will bond through a little oil residue. You still want to clean the surface as much as possible and sand it lightly. I know all other dealers have the same chemicals but I don't know which one to ask for. That's why I mentioned the Chrysler product.

You should consider this a temporary repair that no professional would do, ... However, ... My Ma hit a piece of steel laying in the road with my '88 Grand Caravan and tore off the rear heater hoses and punched a 3" by 2" hole in the front of the gas tank up above the rear axle. I nursed it home 7 miles with no coolant and the little gas still in the tank. At one stop to let it cool down, I sanded around the hole, then built up the sealer until the hole was covered. Never smelled gas after that. Later I saw how vulnerable that patch was so I put a piece of thin sheet metal over it, then another coating of sealer to keep the sheet metal from rusting away. That was in 1990. The patch is still on there today and holding fine.

Also had a student chasing engine oil leaks a few years ago. Each time he fixed one, the spot on the ground got bigger. Turned out the main cause was a tiny hole rusted through a high spot on the oil pan. Being convinced at the time the van wouldn't last much longer, I just sanded the rust and plugged the hole with that gray sealer, hoping it would last a little while. That was about 6 years ago and that patch is also still holding too.

Remember, no professional mechanic is going to repair your car this way, but if it allows you to drive the car temporarily, that will give you some time to find a replacement oil pan.

Yeah im going to pull the pan tomorrow see if it tells me anything I guess.I hate to plug the hole, put oil in, and have a piece of metal in the pan and end up in the motor. Any tips on what to look for?

I would never try to patch an oil pan. It's just way too important.

Wrenchtech
Yeah I hate to patch it and have something happen. If anyone has info on whats involved pulling the pan I would really appreciate it.

The only way possible would be brasing the pan. Use a brasing rod and a torch to seal it. Take the oil out first.

Cadieman
I believe we have an aluminum pan here. Brazing will not be an option.

Wrenchtech
Page 1 of 3