START AND RUN

1989 Ford F-150 • 220,000 miles

Started up, drove a few feet and it died like I turned the swtch off. The module and the ignition coil checked good. Moved the distributor to retarded position and it started and idled fine. Put it back to the normal advanced position and it continued to idle smooth, but after killing it I had to retard it to start it again. Could this be a pickup coil malfunction?What do you think it could be?

Elliott1418

You can do a ohm resistance test on the pickup to check if it is, it does sound like theres a chace it might be the problem. But I dont know the specs for that year pickup coil

Jeremy76
NOT KNOWING MUCH ABOUT COMPUTER INJECTED RIGS

DOES YOUR DISTRIBUTOR HAVE A MECHANICAL ADVANCE. SEE IF THE SPRINGS ARE BROKE AND THE WEIGHTS THROWN OUTWARD

In reference to my 89 F150, I can drive it, I just don't know how far. The advance is electronic and it will not start until I retard the timeing and until I bring it back, it runs just like a severely retarded engine. This is my first time to experience this ailment.I have not tested the pickup coil yet. Does the pickup coil have something to do with the advance?

Elliott1418
The pickup helps hold idle and start, it also assists in driving conditions and performance. Ive experienced this problem in other vehicles and it ended up being the problem, but I did a ohm test before I spent the money!

Jeremy76