CLUNKING NOISE WHEN TURNING AND HITTING THE BRAKES AT SLOW SPEEDS

1989 Chevrolet S-10 • 77,000 miles

Only happens during turns and when brakes are pressed. Jacked it up no play in wheel from top to bottom but lots of play from left to right. No excessive wear on tire tread. Could it b the tie rods, ball joints, wheel bearings?
Frisbee30

Yes left to rigt is worn tie rods

Billymac
Would the tie rods cause the clunking noise when the tires are straight and the brakes are applied?

Frisbee30
Yes they can clunk when you apply the brakes the tie rods move just like if you turned the wheel. Balljoints should be checked also

Billymac
The truck has no power steering. Should I have locked the steering wheel when I jacked it up and moved the tires. Only asking because I noticed movement clear into the center link and idler arm.

Frisbee30
Well the easiest way is to raise front wheels have an assistant move the steer wheel just the amount of the play back and forth and you watch and see which parts are moving. And the balljoints use a large prybar between the control arm and ball joint watch for any movement there

Billymac