COOLANT LEAK FROM A MYSTERY HOSE CONNECTOR

1989 Chevrolet Beretta • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic •

I know this is an old question, but, I have a problem that was asked, but, never followed up by the original questioner (http://www.2carpros.com/questions/chevrolet-beretta-radiatior-fluid-leaking-please-help). If you are standing in front of the car, looking at the firewall, it is a flanged hose connector sticking out of the wall, just to the left of the 2 A/C lines. I believe they are called the discharge and suction line assembly.
At any rate, there is nothing connected to this hose connector and coolant is leaking from it. I can find no info online or in the repair manual pertaining to this.
A side note... There is only one line going from the surge tank to the radiator, just under the cap. There is a straight opening in the bottom of the tank...like a plastic funnel end...which sits in an open hole in the chassis... I am assuming it is for overflow, but, could it possibly be that there should be a hose going from it to my mystery connection in the firewall?
No1sBoy

If it s coolant coming out -the heater core might not be hooked-up

Heater core sounds right, but it's probably leaking and you're seeing coolant drip from the drain pan in the heater box. There should be a short rubber hose hanging down from the plastic tube on the firewall. If something with the cooling system wasn't connected, the engine would be overheating.

By the way. Happy Fathers Day to you guys. My expertise is sound systems and customizing interiors so understand that I am looking for a quick solution here until he can take it to a certified mech, guys. The car does overheat. The coolant level will drop to the point where the low coolant dummy light comes on within 5 or 6 miles. The connector I am seeing is capable of taking a 1/2" - 5/8" ID. A bit large for a drain, I would think. The heater core was replaced about 6 months ago by a different mechanic (who seems to have disappeared, oddly enough).
Here's the scenario, guys. And I do appreciate your getting back to me so quickly. Can I just cap it off? The guy needs it to commute some 90 miles one way to work. It's pushing 100 degrees out here and I am sure he can refrain from using the heater/defroster. And the AC doesn't work anyway. It's 4 PM, Sunday and he leaves like at 3: 330 A. Plus I am tired of wrestling with this POS and would like to get on with my fathers day! Lol!
I'm just looking for a temp fix that will keep him on the road until he can take it to a certified mech.
Any thoughts?

No1sBoy
If your heater core is leaking, you really shouldn't be driving it. Capping off the drain will only cause it to leak inside the car on your carpet instead of outside.

Wrenchtech
Maybe this will help. I managed to get my cell phone in for a pic. Does this clear it up a bit?

No1sBoy
That's the drain. If it's clear water coming out, that would be normal. If it's coolant, then you have a leaking heater core.

Wrenchtech
Ok. Thank you. It is coolant that is leaking out This means the heater core needs to be replaced, correct? This actually shortens my day. Lol.
Thanks for all your help, guys. I appreciate it. Have a happy Father's day. What; s left of it.

No1sBoy
Yes, it's a heater core. Don't drive it that way or it could turn into a bad motor real easily.

Wrenchtech
OK. I understand and the information has been passed on to the owner. He's not happy, but, he would have been a lot more unhappy if he blew the motor. I would say you guys just saved him about $1,500. Oo BEFORE labor!
Nice work, all of you.
And especially thank you, Wrenchtech.

No1sBoy
You're welcome

Wrenchtech