THE HEATER IN MY CAR DOESN'T BLOW HOT AIR. THE DEFROST DOESN'T WORK EITHER AND IT'S FREEZING HERE WHERE I LIVE.

1988 Lincoln Town Car • 200 miles

So when I turn on the heater or defrost in my car it blows warm air for about a second and then switches over to cold. The air doesn't seem to be very strong. I've changed the Thermostat So I know it isn't that. I had some issues with the heater core last year and if i'm not mistaken that was replaced. It'd very cold where I live this time of year and would like to resolve this as soon as possible

Cdanativechick25

Hi: Check this for me and let me know the results.

Start the engine, turn the heater on. Allow the engine to warm up to normal operating temp. Feel both heater core hoses. Are both hot?

Let me know.

So the hoses do get hot. What does that mean? Someone suggested that I flush my heater core. How do I do that? Are there kits available?

Cdanativechick25
THAT MEANS WATER IS CIRCULATING THRU THE HEATER CORE---THE HEAT IS THERE, JUST NOT GETTING TO YOU. CORE, IS MOST LIKELY FINE!

THE PROBLEM MUST LIE WITHIN THE HEATER BOX UNDER THE DASH

I KNOW LITTLE ABOUT YOU RIG. IMMA REAL JEEP CJ KIND GUY (CJs USE MANUAL CABLES TO OPERATE MR. HEATER)

HEATERS HAVE "TRAP DOORS" (MAYBE MORE THAN ONE) WHICH DIVERT AIRFLOW TO YOUR WINDSHIELD, FACE, FEET, SOMETIMES BETWEEN "HEAT" AND "A/C"

THESE DOORS, OVER THE YEARS, USED MANUAL (W/ YOUR FINGERS!), CABLES, VACUUM, AND ELECTRICITY TO OPERATE THEM

HERE'S THE THING--DOOR MAY BE BROKE OR STUCK, CABLE STUCK OR BROKE, VACUUM DISCONNECTED, OR A MOTOR BAD OR NO SIGNAL REACHING IT (WHICH THEN COULD BE A FUSE, SWITCH OR WIRING ISSUE

WHATEVER MAY BE THE CASE!

SO I'M GONNA HOOK YOU UP WITH ONE OF THE BEST "MONKEY SEE, MONKEY DO"! RESOURCES I KNOW OF!

OTHER SUGGESTIONS YOU MIGHT SEARCH WITHIN ARE TO INVESTIGATE SIMILAR FORD, MERCURY CAR VIDEOS OF THAT ERA, YEAR/ MAKE/ MODEL/ HVAC/ BLEND DOORS/ HEATER/ ACTUATOR/ MOTOR/ ETC. OR COMBINATIONS, YOU'D BE SURPRISED AT WHAT YOU CAN FIND ABOUT ANYTHING.

LET ME KNOW IF YOU COME UP W/ SOMETHING AND GET 'ER DONE!

SOMETIMES (NO PROMISES) WE CAN GET DIAGRAMS THAT MIGHT SHOW THE COMPONENTS

KEEP US POSTED