DIES ON IDLE

1988 Ford Festiva • 180,000 miles

I have a 1988 Ford Festiva that sat for 5 years. It ran fine when I first started driving it, but quickly started developing an issue where it wants to die while idling. I opened up the carb and sprayed some carb cleaner in it, ran it at about 3000rpm for a few minutes, and it idled at between 1400 and 1900 rpm's just fine. 5 minutes later, same issue. Could there be an automatic choke or something that isn't operating properly? It seems as if it isn't getting enough gas. Thanks for any help!
Coreyrittenhouse

You sure its a Carb instead of a throttle body injection? Let me know

Yeah, it's a 2bbl carb.

Coreyrittenhouse
Check the fuel pressure and also inspect choke plate opening and pull off

The butterfly in the carb isn't closing ever. Not sure how to fix that, but going to take a look today. Also going to change the fuel filter, as I'm sure it's time regardless.

Coreyrittenhouse
Started it up, while controlling throttle by hand, pushed the butterfly a bit and it went right into high idle, which it hasn't done until now apparently. Idled for a minute or two, settled and died when trying to hit regular idle. Butterfly seems stuck. What controls it?

Coreyrittenhouse
BEEN-A-MESSIN' WITH SCREWS?

IF SO, MAYBE WE CAN GET YOU TO A, "BETTER THAN YOU ARE", ADJUSTMENT

CHOKE CLOSED PROBABLY PUTS YOU IN A HIGHER IDLE, AS IT PULLS OFF (NORMALLY) IDLE SPEED IS DECREASED, FINALLY, WHEN COMPLETELY OFF, YOU SHOULD BE ON THE "IDLE CIRCUIT" ONLY

IN THIS CASE, THAT CIRCUIT, SEEMS TO BE WHAT AIN'T WORKIN' RIGHT

DO YOUR FILTER AND ANYTHING ELSE YOU HAVE NEGLECTED AS SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE

LET US KNOW THE STORY COMPLETELY!

WAITIN' ON YOU!

A COUPLE OR 3 PICS, AROUND AND ABOVE YOUR CARB, WOULD BE HELPFUL

HAHAHA! No, I just bought this car a few months ago as a fun little gas-saver before I get an early 60's Corvair. The previous owner had it sitting for a while and I bought it to fix. I've already replaced the master cylinder, drums, pads, rotors, wheel cylinders, plugs, wires, distributor cap, distributor rotor, new battery, new exhaust system, etc. I'm just at the point where, if I get this issue fixed I can get it inspected and legally enjoy my little party on wheels, if you will.

Coreyrittenhouse
I like this "idle circuit" theory, but I have no idea where that is. Doing my research now. The butterfly on the carb still isn't moving on its own. I was hoping that would work itself out as I messed with it. It feels as if whatever controls it is stuck.

Coreyrittenhouse
DO THIS WORK YOURSELF ON THE REST OF THE CAR?

USUALLY YOU WILL SEE THE CHOKE IN THE CLOSED POSITION--NOT JUST FOR COLD WEATHER!

IF YOU'LL ACTUATE THE THROTTLE WHEN IT'S STONE COLD, IF IT'S ADJUSTED RIGHT, IT WILL CLOSE, OR PARTIALLY CLOSE--TILL THE ENGINE GETS WARMED UP

HAVE YOU FORCED THE MIXTURE SCREWS CLOSED. HONESTLY. HOPE NOT!

DO YOU SEE THEM?---PROBABLY 2 TOWARDS THE BOTTOM FRONT

IMMA OLD JEEP KINDA FELLER.I KNOW HOW CARBS WORK. JUST KNOW THE JEEPS REALLY WELL.I DO NOT KNOW YOURS.I WILL LOOK FOR INFO

TAG # ON CARB? WORDS? MORE PICS, DIFFERENT VIEWS. WHERE CARB TAKES UP 90% OF PIC

DO YOU HAVE TUNE-UP TOOLING. NORMAL STUFF?

GIVE ME SOME ANSWERS--I'LL SEE IF I CAN HELP

YOUR TURN

Page 1 of 3