87 WON'T START

1987 Volkswagen Jetta • 4 cylinder 2WD Manual • 2,000,000 miles

I have a 87 jetta that was working one day and won't start the next. It will turn over just won't start and when it does it dies in 3-4 sec later. It act's like it not getting fuel. I had it looked at the spark plugs where fouled. I have replaced the fuel filter by the tank. I need help
being told could be fuel pump or electric.
Rosebud01499

Check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light.

My 2003 Jetta GLI has a similar problem. Most of the time it starts just fine, but more and more it has been having problems starting. The problem first started with the engine revving up to as high as 1500 rpm and then dropping to 200 or 300 rpm, going back up, and then coming back down when I first started it. It would eventually either settle or drop all the way down and die. Then it got to where when I turned the key I could hear it cranking, but it wouldn't start. After turning the key 3-4 times it would finally start. This week for the first time it wouldn't start at all. I let it set for two days and then it started right up.
The problem usually occurs either after driving the car or after driving the car and then letting it set for an hour or two (i.E. Driving 1 mile to church, coming back 2 hours later and it has problems or driving a hundred + miles, stopping for gas, and then it not wanting to start). Once it starts and the idle settles I don't have any problems with. It seems to idle fine and have good power, it is only when I first start it.

Tennesseesummer
Have it scanned for codes and check the fuel pressure.

Rivermikerat