TOYOTA 4RUNNER TERMINAL PROBLEM

1987 Toyota 4Runner • 60,000 miles

I have a rebuilt Toyota 22re Eng fuel injected. It starts fine, it idles fine, I have the timing set at 5 degrees for TDC. The thing is that in driving the truck, it is Totally gutless, and when I put a timing light on it, and rev. The Eng, the timing retards before it advances. This vehicle has no pod on the side of the distributor, So I assume it is electronically spark advanced. Is the spark advance and retardation run by the computer / Brains, ? If not what controls it? What could be the cause? Or is it normal for this vehicle to retard right before it advances on timing mark? If you answer this question and I am able to fix the problem by your help, I will send in a donation as I have done in the past. Thank you for your time.

For fuel injected models the ignition timing advance/retarding is controlled by the engine computer. Yes, ignition timing would tend to retard first before advancing.

When setting the igntion timing to 5 degrees, was the diagnostic terminals bridged? If the terminals are not bridged, it should read abut 12 degrees.

Would the timing act differently with a carburetor than an injected Toyota? Because I have a friend that has two Toyota 22 R Eng that run good and when I put the timing light on them and rev. The Eng. The harmonic balancer does not retard before it advances, it just advances and then goes back to where it should be. I also don't know what you mean by bridging the diagnostic terminal, could you please elaborate and if possible describe in detail how to do this? Thank you.

1woodmonger
Oh, I guess never-mind, I found where to bridge and still the darn it is still gutless so, I'll be towing it to a shop. Thank ; you anyway.I do appreciate your time.

1woodmonger
After bridging the diagnostic terminals, what was the ignition timing?
Is the fuel pressure correct?

After bridging the terminals, I set it at 5 degrees. Don't know about the fuel pressure as I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, so, I have decided to tow the darn-it to the shop. Thank you anyway.

1woodmonger
You're welcome.