ENGINE HEAT

1987 Oldsmobile Calais • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 187,000 miles

MY 1987 OLDS CALAIS 2.5 ENG. AUTO TRANS AFTER DRIVING SEVERAL MILES AND STOPPING THE ENGINE I CAN HEAR BUBBLING IN THE COOLANT RESEVOR LIKE ITS RUNNING HOT, THE ENGINE DOESN'T APPEAR TO BE OVERHEATING. IS THIS NORMAL OR WHAT DO I LOOK FOR? THE RADIATOR CAP AND THERMOSTAT ARE NEW, IT DOESN'T LOSE ANY WATER.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
BILL
Bhooten233

Does your temp gage work? What does it show? Does the radiator fan run?

NO GUAGE ONLY IDIOT LIGHT THAT DOESN'T COME ON, THE FAN RUNS ANY TIME THE ENGINE IS RUNNING AN OVEN THERMOMETER READS ONLY ABOUT 180 DRGREES WHEN PUT INTO THE WATER AT THERMOSTAT HOUSING CAP. I HAVE OTHER PROBLEMS WITH THE IDIOT LIGHTS BUT NEED TO DRIVE THE CAR AS I REPAIR ITS OTHER PROBLEMS BUT I DONT WANT TO RUIN THE ENGINE.
THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT
BILL

Bhooten233
Does the reservoir fill up in a hurry? You may be getting combustion gases in the coolant? Engine running, do you have coolant flow? Take the radiator cap off, see if you can tell if any coolant flow. Don't remove the cap on a hot engine. Your fan shouldn't run all the time.

IT DOESN'T HAPPEN UNTILL THE ENGINE IS CUT OFF, THE RESERVOIR DOESN'T FILL UP OR RUN OVER IT GETS TO THE HOT LEVEL ONLY WHEN IT COOLS OVERNIGHT IT IS ON THE COOL FILL LINE IN RESEVOIR AND WHEN THERMOSTAT HOUSING CAP IS REMOVED COLD ITS FULL. I DONT LOSE ANY COOLANT.
THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT
BILL

Bhooten233
That may be normal? My hearing is no good, I'm not good with sounds. Most reservoirs act the way you stated, the level starts rising as the engine gets warm, lowers as the engine cools off.

I LIKE YOU THINK ITS NORMAL ALTHO I DONT LIKE HEARING IT. IM GOING TO PUT A GUAGE IN THE CAR I THINK. THANKS MR. JDL FOR YOUR HELP. IM SURE I WILL NEED YOUR INPUT ON OTHER THINGS WITH THIS CAR.
GOD BLESS
BILL

Bhooten233
We're usually here. Goodluck