87 NO FUEL

1987 Ford Ranger • 6 cylinder 4WD Manual • 100,000 miles

Ok I have an 87 ford ranger with the 2.9 v-6 5-speed manual and it has dual fuel tanks. It was running fine and we took it for a ride and accidently ran it out of fuel so we pulled it over to the shop and put about 5-6 gallons of gas in it and we cant get it to stay running. Its turned over and ran for a second once or twice. It will run on staring fluid in the intake but dies when you stop spraying it. The bleeder valve on the fuel rail doesnt apear to be getting fuel just air when we bleed it. We have been turning the key over to turn on the fuel pump and it does appear to be working you can definetly hear it. We have tried turning the key over a lot to try to bleed out the air but to no evail. So if you could please point us in the direction I would appreciate it, Thanks Janson Palmer
Jansonp

I forgot to mention I live in montana and it was about -10degrees out when it happened but it was pulled into a warm shop within 15-20mins after it happened. Thanks, Janson

Jansonp
Change the fuel filter ! When the tank went dry, all the crap in the bottom of the tank went into the filter & plugged it up ! BE CAREFUL when you loosen that filter. It is under alot of pressure now, & gas IS gonna spray all over the place !

Ford Man in Michigan

Ford Man
You say you have dual tanks, try changing the tank selector switch to the other tank. I did the same thing when I had one a few years ago. Ran out of gas in one tank. The gas guage said empty. Put some in nothing happened. I had put it in the other tank.

M_H_RITZEL
Ya I tried switching tanks I can tell theres fuel just by the way the fuel pump sounds and I am going to get a fuel filter for it today how tough are they to get off and any speacil tool needed?

Jansonp
Your best bet to find out how it will come off. Is to look at it. Some unscrew, some have little clips that hold 'em in, some have hose clamps. Check it out, then ask at the auto parts store if they have any needed tools you may need.

Ford Man

Ford Man
Well thanks for the help again guys! When ever I have question you guys always give some good advice thanks, Janson

Jansonp
Us moderators look at things somtimes different. I look at it as something I would think would try to get it to run. Ford man has the technical knowledge, As Ford man said change the fuel filter. Do watch out for the pressure as some fords run on a higher fuel pressure than others. Up until 1988 the 2.9 on efi engines the engine consists of two fuel pumps a low pressure pump mounted in the fuel tank and a high pressure fuel pump mounted on the frame rail.

M_H_RITZEL
Ok we pulled out both of the filters and we still dont have fuel coming through the lines the fuel rail pump is turning on and we think we can hear the one in the tank. We have tried both tanks and one of em should have around 5-6 gallons we left it in the shop to thaw out and were gunna keep trying today an help would be awesome

Jansonp
As M_H_Ritzel mentioned, your truck prolly has 2 fuel pumps. It sounds like the high pressure 1 isn't pumping. Start checking fuses for pumps, & or (guessing here that the fuel tank switch is electronic) the fuel transfer switch fuse. To prove out that in fact both tank pumps are working (switch to 1 then the other), as the key is turned on. You should have your ear (or a screwdriver) up to the tank to hear pump run. Also. Switching valve or high pressure pump may have an in line filter which can be clogged (my 1997 F250 has in line filter before switching valve), & needs to be cleaned or replaced. Ask at your local auto parts if you can see their fuel system diagram for your truck. Said diagram should show everything related to this system.
Beyond this above I can't help ya anymore, i'm stumped ! To second guess you. Might ya have an ice blockage somewhere? Good Luck !

Ford Man

Ford Man
1 other thing. Your truck may have a fuel pump relay, check the master-power fuse box under the hood !

Ford Man

Ford Man
Page 1 of 2