CHEVROLET CAPRICE SPARK PROBLEM

1987 Chevrolet Caprice • 500,704 miles

What could be wrong if the car cranks but wont start

It is either a lack of spark or fuel or compression.

Dr. Hagerty
I would have a helper crank it while you visually check for spark at the spark plugs. If you have spark everywhere, use a gage and check fuel pressure. Also, check for applicable mil codes, you can do that, yourself.

To check for spark, pull a spark plug wire loose from plug, use a spark tester or known good spark plug in the boot, ground tester to metal part of engine, watch for spark, engine cranking. You can use a phillips screwdriver in the plug boot, hold shank of screwdriver close to engine ground, engine cranking, If you lucky it won't bit you and you will see the spark jump. I dont like secondary ignition voltage biting me.

To check for mil codes, Use a jumper wire between terminals A & B at the datalink connector. Turn key just till the dash lites come on, no further. The mil on the dash starts flashing, you count the flashes to get the codes. Your looking for two digit codes. Let us know what you find.

Hi, DR. Hagerty, didnt see your post, have a good day.

Jack