PONTIAC TRANS AM TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

1986 Pontiac Trans Am • 100,000 miles

My 1986 Pontiac Trans Am sometimes will not shift properly and other times shifts perfectly. I have recently changed the filter and the fluid but had no effect.I was told the shift sensors in the transmission are bad. Where are these located and would this cause such a problem? Sounds reasonable but i'm not too familar with automatic transmissions. Thanks Randall
Randall Moore

So are getting a hard shift?

Yes, when it doesn't shift properly it is a hard shift.

Randall Moore
Thats usually caused by too high of pressure in the transmission.I would do a pressure test and see what you find there.

How is a pressure test done on a transmission?

Randall Moore
You need a transmission pressure tester kit I have a pretty nice set it was under 60. You have to hook it to the transmission like a oil pressure gauge.I will look and see if I can find info on checking the pressure on a car that old on the online data I have.

I found the info on doing a pressure test on your transmission. Let me know if your going to get a transmission pressure tester kit and I will post the info.

I plan to get one just have to find someone who sells them. I have tried Advance Auto Parts and Auto Zone with no luck. Will try different auto parts stores or maybe online.I appreciate the help and the quick response you have provided, it is greatly appreciated.

Randall Moore
Here is the one i have i have used it many times the nice part about it is there is a gauge for oil pressure and one for transmission pressure.Also it has quick release hoses.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000R5G0DO/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1330997634&sr=8-1