'86 , CAN'T HEAR FUEL PUMP WHEN TURNING THE KEY ON

1986 Chevrolet Camaro • 6 cylinder Manual •

I am hoping somebody has some suggestions on what we should look at next to try to get my car running again. If I forget any details, please let me know.

Car specs: '86 Camaro, 2.8, 6-cyl, multi-port fuel injection.

I was in the last 4 miles of a 64 mile drive when the car died without notice. I shouldn't say completely without notice, the check engine light had been coming on periodically. I was doing roughly 45 mph and it just stalled. It has roughly 3/4 tank of gas in it which had been purchased the day prior.

Troubleshooting we have done so far:
We replaced the fuel filter as we knew it needed to be done anyways. After doing so, we noticed that the spark plugs are dry.
When turning the key to the on position, the fuel pump doesn't start.
Attempted to run fuel pump with test connector through terminal G, did not work.
Replaced oil/fuel pump switch, then retried the test connector through terminal G and the fuel pump operated. Car still won't start.
Replaced fuel pump relay. Fuel pump still works through test connector, but not when I turn the key on. Car still won't start.
Any suggestions?
86CamaroOwner

Need to check fuel pressure need 37-45 psi. Attach gague to schrader valve on fuel rail

Docfixit
To add to that. The pump only powers for 2 seconds when the key is first turned on.

Wrenchtech
Thank you, I will test that. Would a lack of pressure allow the pump to run when a cord is plugged into terminal G, but not when the key is turned on?

86CamaroOwner
The pressure test is only going to tell you whether the pump is working properly and when.

Wrenchtech
I checked the pressure and it is at 40psi.

Finally figured out the problem on another forum and figured I would share my results here in case anyone else runs into this frustrating situation.

There is an additional fuse under the hood. It's in a little black box attached inside the passenger side fender next to the battery. Apparently when the fuel pump relay went out, it blew this fuse. I had checked all the fuses in the fuse box, but didn't know about this one. New 20amp fuse and the car started right up!

86CamaroOwner